Greco SA 700

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased this SA700 and I am confused about its age.
Is it '79 or '89 or '90 or '96 ?
Can anyone give me an idea as to the vintage of this really great guitar?

The oval disc inside the "f" hole says "Super Real Project" and its serial number is 9 60XX.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

318028959.jpg

318028948.jpg

It has a one piece mahogany neck, no volute, inked number and 14 deg head stock angle with a crown inlay. The "O" in Greco is open and it has the open book headstock shape.

20 Century Boy, it was described by the seller as an '89. I was hoping that it might be a '79. What makes you certain that it is a '79?

Thank you very much for your input.

ultra

I would be quite certain it's an '89. The Super-Real's were originally made in 1980 and 81 and then Greco re-issued the Super Real series in 1988 and 1989 for a few High End Semi-Acoustic models only.

Info from Japanguitars.co.uk, Mark knows his Greco's

What makes you certain that it is a '79?

Certain, I'm not, but I think so. I think if it was from 1989, it would be a "clear sound project" ( not 100% sure about that but all the Greco acco and semi- acco I had from that time were "clear sound project" ). Also, the fret edge binding on the neck on a 700 model, probably not enough high end to get that on a 89 SA-700.

Isn't the yellow logo from the early 80? After I thought it was white?

very strange..

open O suggests mint collection post 1982, but superreal label...

also open O started in 82, but the ser suggests 79 or 89, but in 89 i never seen a superreal label, and in 79 never seen an open O..

sorry I am stumped here...

are you sure it's an open O? I couldn't see on the pic above ( well, I can't say I'v got eagle eyes...:lol: ) .

20 century boy said:
What makes you certain that it is a '79?

Certain, I'm not, but I think so. I think if it was from 1989, it would be a "clear sound project" ( not 100% sure about that but all the Greco acco and semi- acco I had from that time were "clear sound project" ). Also, the fret edge binding on the neck on a 700 model, probably not enough high end to get that on a 89 SA-700.

Isn't the yellow logo from the early 80? After I thought it was white?

The frets are right over the binding.... no nibs. The oval label is discolored but it appears whitish.
There is definitely and open "O".

Thanks for all the replies to date[/url]

villager said:
very strange..

open O suggests mint collection post 1982, but superreal label...

also open O started in 82, but the ser suggests 79 or 89, but in 89 i never seen a superreal label, and in 79 never seen an open O..

sorry I am stumped here...

Mark, taken from your site:

Greco re-issued the Super Real series in 1988 and 1989 for a few High End Semi-Acoustic models only.

yes but they were jazz guitars always like a 175 type, and always a 1000 or above model...

never seen a 335 from that era with a super real label..was always clearsound project or late mint collection label

Thanks all. It really doesn't matter what year it is because I love it and will never sell it. It hangs in with my Gibson 335s and 345 and gives them a good run for their money.... in fact, it is my preferred ES at the moment.

I can heartily recommend this model to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced 335

Cheers

318028945.jpg

Bringing an old thread back to life :)

I have just received a 78 SA-700.
I was wondering , as the fretboard wood is quite dark and hard, is it ebony ?

Great guitar btw, will post pics later.

Hmmmm.... I have a '78 SA-800 and it has a rosewood board FWIW

Enjoy your new Greco!

A few pics of the beauty. It actually looks yellower there than it is in reality. Knobs have been changed, apart from that it's quite cool :
DSC03949.JPG

DSC03962.JPG

DSC03963.JPG

DSC03970.JPG

DSC03974.JPG

Latest posts

Back