Old Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardyblade

Reaction score
I have recently acquired what I believe is a 1980's Love Rock. The serial number is stamped but only has 6 numbers 013976.
Any ideas on date of production please?
Thanks

ezGeleL.jpg

MHsbdNl.jpg

rZ3bWs2.jpg

Thank you. Let me know if you can see these.

??????

I’ve never seen anything like that.

There was a period when some LS50 and 60s were made in Nagano. Second digit was 1, but a 7 digit number.

I’ve never seen anything like that one. The serial number is off center and crooked. Looks almost home made. Each number struck individually, haphazardly, and probably by hand.

Wonder if it was some sort of test? Guitars in this period would not have left the factory without a serial number. Even special orders from my experience.

This is definitely a mystery. Maybe someone else will know?

The shape of the rout looks like Tokai.

I can’t see the neck joint. It’s a bit dark. Is there a dowel in the seam by chance?

I just took the picture of the neck joint and lightened it.

I don’t see a dowel like we see on Nagano builds, but the angle of the bevel on the neck tenon seems like it is greater than any I have seen.

Maybe it's just the angle of the photo?

It leaves me wondering if another builder could have built this to submit to Tokai to try and get a contract to build guitars like what happened in Nagano? Guessing here.

The guitar is from 1980 or later because it’s a Love Rock.

Sometime in the early 90s I believe they started inking "Made In Japan" on the back of the headstock. I assumed yours does not have that. Let me know if it does.

So my guess (if no "Made in Japan" stamp) is that it is from the 80s. And it is a Tokai I believe. But no idea who made it, or when exactly, or where.

Pretty wild.

Might just be the camera angle that makes the neck tenon on the left onyour guitar seem like a steeper angle?

Your guitar:

vm4fP8d.jpg

My old 1981 LS120. Typical Tokai neck joint.

a500a0l.jpg

Many thanks for your info. Definitely has no "made in Japan" on the back of the headstock.

You’re welcome. Still no idea why it has that serial number.

Hoping someone sees this thread that knows something more about it. Fingers crossed.

Just out of curiosity, was the head stock repaired?

I see where the word "Love" was buffed off, and looks like there is a crack going across the face where the TRC is removed.

Wondering if the serial number thing is related to a repair where the wood was sanded or a piece replaced?

Maybe they tried to preserve that number even if done by hand and left out a digit?

Maybe it is actually an '81 with a "1" left off at the beginning?? I say that because 13,000+ units fits with a 1981 Hamamatsu build. My 1981 LS120 was serial number 1013040. In 1980 there were less than 11,000 built based on my other 1981 that has a serial number 1011064.

I don't know who would go through that trouble other than someone at Tokai.

Such a mystery.

mENnD5k.jpg

N6NhDFb.jpg

It probably has had a headstock repair and definitely had a recent neck repair'
so you may well be correct.
It does however play and sound great.
I have no intention to sell it, but any idea of a value based on the above issues?
Thanks again for your help

LS80 and above had one piece backs, 18 degree neck angle, and lacquer finish.

LS50 & 60 had multi piece backs, 14 degree neck angle, and poly finish.

I don’t remember the difference between the 50 and 60. Likely the number of pieces of wood and possibly pickups.

Search this forum. The answer is in here I’m sure.

hardyblade said:
It probably has had a headstock repair and definitely had a recent neck repair'

Can you post pics of the repairs? Tokai themselves did some repairs, so I'm curious.

Back