Does changing pickups lower the value of a tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmintan

Reaction score
I have an LS135 with the UK headstock. its a lovely guitar but the pickups and/or pots are are not the best. when turning the tone pot below 5 everything starts to muddy up and becomes awful by 3.
They dont compare to the Gibson LP Standard 50's(2019) , which is still very usable down at 2 or 3 on the tone pot, still has lots of dynamic.

Id like to rectify this in the 135 so Im looking to change the pups and pots.
As i may sell the guitar at some point however, im wondering if changing pups and pots will drastically affect the value, as with Tokai's, model number is based on year purchased, price and features.

I wouldn't think so myself. A lot of people change out the stock pups on Tokai's and if the electronics aren't cutting it.... well i'd swap them out too. Do people in the U.K. have a fascination for originality on an almost new guitar ??

I'd say go for it.

Does changing pickups lower the value of a tokai? Generally I would answer no to that question.
Many owners replace pickups & pots on their MIJs, Tokai included.
If value were lowered by such an alteration it would be negligible at best; if at all.

It's not like a Tokai LS is a late 1950s Gibson Les Paul, that many would consider keeping in original form.

Latest posts

Back