• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

'Villager' a.k.a japanguitars.co.uk 'Greco'

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxhombre

Reaction score
Just recieved an absolutely blinding Greco EGF1200 1980 Super Real Les Paul from Mark at 'Japanguitars.co.uk' aka Villager - this is the best guitar I've ever played period! - I already own a nice 1980 Super Real Black Les Paul Standard but a lesser model that I picked up on ebay direct from Japan its very nice and is better than any 70's Gibson equivalent - but this Greco EGF1200 is ln another class!!!!- on Mark's advice I decided to pay more and really push the boat out and go for a top end Greco even though it was pricey for me - but you cannot understand how good these top end Greco's are until you hold one in your hands everything is right the neck,the action, the quality,the tone etc then plug in and its beyond heaven!!!- my advice is if you really are serious about your vintage guitars and want a really top end japanese vintage guitar before they become totally out of reach - then go to Mark at JapanGuitars and you will not be disappointed.....Thanks again Mark!........+ I'll be back for another Greco very soon!!......Steve.

And everything they say about the fabled 'Dry Z' pickups are true - they sound amazing!.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/Greco%20EGF-1200%20Honeyburst%201980/?action=view&current=c3e64dc1.jpg[/img]

Yes, a fantastic amount of inventory. I've been to his "home" a lot.

Unfortunately, the email I sent has not been replied to. Maybe he's on holiday?

To bad they do not come in "my" colors. Otherwise i would have bought one.

nothing wrong with laminate tops; they're great for something say in the price range of a RLG-70/90, at $1K, or under

I'd like to think however that a solid top is what $3K plus will get for the money

That kind of money for a liminate top is just crazy, IMO

So, is it a solid or laminate top?

My guess is still laminate..........

beautiful EGF1200 8)

Nice catch maxhombre, Congrats!!

Super Real forever ... amen

btw. MIJvintage, have you ever played a one, i mean EGF1200 with DRYZ?

of course its laminate....you know that...all EGF-1200 are laminate. We had a good discussion about this in the rock spirits vs EGF-1200 thread a while back....

Rich, you having a bad day m8?

MIJ ''Mr Negative'' Vintage..

stop it please...this was a happy, nice, positive and good thread which was spreading mutual appreciation and good vibes for steve's amazing new axe.......

its like ''my neighbours kid just got a new bike....he was so proud and happy, I just had to go and kill his dog''

heh.... well maybe thats a bit harsh...but really...say something nice about steves new axe...it really is a killer guitar....I know cos I have actually played it for hours and hours....and hours.

Hey contratulations Steve

The Greco EGF1200 Sunburst Lady 8) 8) 8) 8)

Fantastic mate, you really do have a very very very special guitar there

kind regards
Mick

That guitar looks SO SWEET!!. I have been dreaming about one of those for about 2 years now. THAT is the the one model of guitar I want to hold in my hand more than all others. More than Tokai reborn, more than OBG, more than a Navigator, (just a tad) more than a RLG 150. Arg. still out of my price range, but, hopefully, someday....

well let's see now; where to start?

Maxhombre, sincerely hope you're happy with your EGF-1200; I'm sure it's a great sounding & very special Lester

Jinx, haven't played an EGF-1200

villager, didn't recall the specifics of the thread you mentioned; I was only guessing a laminate top judging from the photos, as it looks like a laminate.
I was only expressing my opinion on laminates in general, as compared to costs.
Please feel free to bludgeon me further for expressing my opinion, concerning laminates.

So, what range EGF has a solid top?
How much would one have to $pend, and how many years would one have to look to find an example?

Who cares about whether its laminate top or not? - to me guitars are for playing not collecting - all I know is I've never played a guitar as good as this one before with that rare 'mojo' that almost plays itself - and I should know because I used to work for Gibson on the endorsement side of things and I have played hundreds of Gibson guitars with mega price tags that don't even come close to this Greco......

its just simply a case of you don't know what you are missing till you try it.....the cheaper model's are great I've got another 1980 Les Paul super Real a cheaper model and its great - better than the Gibson equivalent currently out there - but pay a bit more and go to the top end Greco models and its off the hook!......

It reminds me of when people hum and hah'd about paying out 10-15k for a 1959 Les Paul - now days anyone would rip someones arm off to pay that for one now! that time is long gone....and thats why we are looking at Greco's....well trust me the top end Greco's will go that way so have a little vision and look a couple of years down the line when these guitars will fetch double that!....

So do yourself a favour and find a reputable seller like 'Villager' who actually know's his stuff inside out and handpick's all the guitars he sell's personally - plug in a EGF1200 with the dry Z' pickups and then tell me its not worth every **** penny!!.......

Bottom line - "You get what you pay for"

Maxhombre said:
It reminds me of when people hum and hah'd about paying out 10-15k for a 1959 Les Paul - now days anyone would rip someones arm off to pay that for one now!

Bottom line - "You get what you pay for"

1959 Gibson LP Standard for sale @ $550,000 or ?280,000......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200195816672&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

It's a little bit too expensive for me... :lol:

villager said:
heres the thread..

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5509&highlight=greco+rock+spirits

Mark, I am aware of the thread, as I stated just was not currently aware of the specifics.

So, going back to my previous question:
"So, what range EGF has a solid top?
How much would one have to $pend, and how many years would one have to look to find an example?"

In other words, what is the lowest model number EGF that has a solid top, what would be the cost, and what is the waiting period to locate one?

I think theres a mid-level superreal plaintop thats solid....but for flametops the EGF-1800 are solid flametop's..

..i have seen 3 for sale in the last 5 years...

the price now is around the same as historics....

ie from $4000 for an average topped, well played dinged up guitar to around $8000 for a superb condition collectors piece, with a blinding top.

personally I hear no overall difference between the 1200's and 1800's...

Yes, I am talking EGF models, not EG models................

$4K minimum to get a less than stellar EGF with a solid top :eek: and the odds of locating one are less than one example per year

Thanks for sharing that.....................................................

Back