84 Goldstar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seller has sent me more pics, HSS factory routing and an assembly date sticker Feb 2008 under the pickguard!

PGqPDMT.jpg

vYNzKO3.jpg

6LR8Ebt.jpg

I wonder if these are tokais at all, maybe a run of fakes? I can't find any history of these guitars for sale.

It’s interesting. The other HSS Tokais have have the post 1985 production code with a “-“ instead of an “=“.

But this Goldstar has a 5 digit serial, and obviously not the Fender numbering system since this guitar is a 3 tone sunburst with rosewood veneer board, features from well after 1961.

78RNZtI.jpg

F5Xz68W.jpg

How long was this Fender headstock shape available in Europe? That would help bracket the date. It’s post 1985 and pre?

pweJp1U.jpg

IdZOpyu.jpg

Sigmania said:
How long was this Fender headstock shape available in Europe? That would help bracket the date. It’s post 1985 and pre?

In the UK around 86 I think. These guitars are much later than that.

Hmmm. The TTE50 in the other thread has a Fender headstock and pot codes from 1987 I believe.

Were there Fender headstocks made for other markets after 1985? In Japan for example?

vYNzKO3.jpg

Also, I am not seeing a brass ground plate on any of these. Wonder when that stopped?

PGqPDMT.jpg

With the body code, 11-14 (and the countersunk holes for the neck bolts on those other HSS bodies) they seem to be MIJ Tokias.

After 9 months this continues to be a puzzling guitar in my opinion.

ATO, you are good at finding these headscratchers.

To answer my own question above, brass plate phased out by early 1987.

This guitar I now believe is actually from 1989, not 1984.

I'm sure this confusion comes from the seller using the Registry for dating.

See where I think it actually fits here:

ST Serial Numbering Systems

And here:

Tokai Strat Copy Timeline 1977- Present

Notable features of this guitar:

5 digit serial number on a guitar with a rosewood board

HSS rout,

11-14 body code,

pot code seems to be 99.

2d33646368159e7f5c3250b2b6588206.jpg

So it appears that these are September 1989 pots (99) in a guitar assembled in November (11) 1989?

That all fits nicely.

The confusing part is the label on the pickguard with handwritten date of 2008? That label is unlike anything I have seen on a Tokai. Looks like Western handwriting.

But the wiring looks unchanged....

Maybe the label has to do with something else?

Looks like I am possibly seeing the word "Sold" in the part of the label that is torn. This may simply be a label for a re-seller...

d513fd8bacac4c08bc0d646dac59f87a.jpg

Btw, it also has what looks like a high mass brass saddles (SS80 or DiMarzio type?).

7302005af9a11bcc2538f00f301afdc0.jpg

Last edited:
Back