What's the Big Deal with this LS-160?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
2001 Tokai LS-160 originally listed @ $6450 & now listed @ 3495 :-?

https://reverb.com/item/37627629-tokai-ls-160-love-rock-2001-nitrocellulose-cherry-sunburst-with-brazilian-rosewood-fingerboard-mij?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Watcher%20-%20Price%20Drop&utm_term=Redesign

What is the big deal with this? I must be missing something.

Maybe I should go list my 2000 LS-320 for $7000 plus :)

They cut the price in half. Can't really tell if it's got a quilt top but that price even at $3500 (USD) is nuts.

CliffsComicWorld said:
I believe this is a laminate top.

Your assessment is ill conceived.
MIJ plain tops (which this example is a plain top) do not leave the factory with laminate tops; only those cheesy flame top examples.
Also, if one observes the 15th & 24th photos, it is evident the annual ring in the pickup route floor lines up exactly with the annual ring on the top surface.
The guitar has a solid top; it is not a laminate, aka not a veneer.
The evidence is there in the listing photos, and also within the historical perspective of MIJ produced carved top LP types.

price on this Tokai 'whatever' model has been dropped to $2,750 :lol: $3,700 off the original asking price 8)

Step right up, make a purchase, and you too could be the lucky sucker :lol:

https://reverb.com/item/37627629-tokai-ls-160-love-rock-2001-nitrocellulose-cherry-sunburst-with-brazilian-rosewood-fingerboard-mij?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Watcher-Price-Drop-Email&utm_term=Email

Sorry, I'm late to the party on this one.
Was there even an LS160 in 2001? I have an LS150 plaintop from 2009 and if I'm not mistaken, the LS160 came afterward.
I believe the current iteration of this guitar is the LS196

Latest posts

Back