Reverb sighting - can anybody provide info on this Goldstar strat? Seems to be a little off?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_hughes614

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/34995981-used-1985-tokai-goldstar-sound-white-tsu6566

I am only familiar with the Tokai models on a surface-level, regarding their corresponding Fender model. I have been on the search for a late 50s or early 60s Stratocaster copy in my price range (under 700ish) and from the golden age of Tokai copies for years now, and came across this. This guitar is listed as a "TSU6566", which is not something I'm familiar with.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html
According to this, I have some concerns - the headstock seems to be the shape of "Re-shaped headstock on USA models AST56 & 62", but the headstock lettering doesn't match anything here from 1985. I also cannot find a serial # on the Reverb photos.

What guitar is this a copy of? Does it look legit? Why is it significantly cheaper than some of the lawsuit models that I'm ultimately after? Assuming the worn finish is not naturally worn, is anybody aware whether or not Tokai released "road-worn" finishes in the 80s, or ever?

EDIT: is it a more recent model that is mislabeled as a 1985? it certainly looks like AST65 headstock, which are from 2010s, no?

Those tuners at the very least spell lowest end model. Its hard to see the neckplate on my little tablet. I cant see the bridge or anything else either. Id be very wary of this one, ask for internal shots and close ups of the bridge. It could be a partscaster.

brokentoes said:
Those tuners at the very least spell lowest end model. Its hard to see the neckplate on my little tablet. I cant see the bridge or anything else either. Id be very wary of this one, ask for internal shots and close ups of the bridge. It could be a partscaster.

Thanks so much for the input. What does lowest end model mean? Well, obviously I understand conceptionally, but were there certain Tokai models from the mid 80s that were the "Squier" or "MIM" equivalent, or something?

by the way, UPDATE:

I messaged the dude to clarify if he knew this was a 1985 built guitar, which he says yes.
He says the serial is L21320, which is in line with the claim that it was built in the 80s... or at least part of it was.

Well im not 100% sure what the lowest model number for those years would be.. But those tuners were used on tge very lowest end ones so maybe st30s -40 ??that would mean the hardware and block etc would also be lower grade, ceramic pups if original etc. Sorry i dont know everything about these old goldstars.

To the OP:

Looks like an AST40 OW, as described on page 5, from the 1984 Vol. 2 catalog.
Head stock decals match.
The 'cheaper' tuners would be expected on the 40 (40K yen) level examples.
The L21*** serialized neck plate is within the known example range from 1984.
AST designates the altered (non Fender) style head stock produced for the US market.

IMO if you want a 'good' Goldstar Sound find an example that was made for the Japan market that has the Fender style head stock.
Good luck

guitar hiro said:
To the OP:

IMO if you want a 'good' Goldstar Sound find an example that was made for the Japan market that has the Fender style head stock.
Good luck

Eso es! Muchas gracias. Reference: http://bassjapanusa.ru/catalog/tokai/tokai_catalog_1985-86.pdf

Do you know anything about these guitars? Can you perhaps give a general comparison to a common fender or Squier model (MIM strat? Indonesian Strat?). I'm starting to think the "good" Goldstar Sound option may just be a bit too far out of my price range.

matt_hughes614 said:
guitar hiro said:
To the OP:

Good luck

Eso es! Muchas gracias. Reference: http://bassjapanusa.ru/catalog/tokai/tokai_catalog_1985-86.pdf

Do you know anything about these guitars? Can you perhaps give a general comparison to a common fender or Squier model (MIM strat? Indonesian Strat?). I'm starting to think the "good" Goldstar Sound option may just be a bit too far out of my price range.

I'm becoming kinda like Harold; he posts opinions here, other forums, and he has a blog where he also offers ideas, opinions, etc.
Some times when a person actually has a well grounded knowledge of something, let's take guitars for example, it's not a lot of fun to offer a well grounded opinion just to have said opinion be maligned, and even have personal attacks thrown at the person.

I was just accused (in another thread) of being the Jedi master of internet bullshitting; all for what?
Because I offered a legitimate opinion based on photographic evidence of an example, and along with a knowledge base within a particular brand.
I never knew I was a Jedi master. :lol: Offering an opinion within online forums seems to some times bring out the ill nature of some folk.

As I stated earlier, I would just try to obtain a Japanese market Goldstar with the 'correct' Fender shape head stock, if you are dead set on getting a Goldstar Sound. I am not that familiar with the AST line & I really don't want to get nuked by some crazy person, just for offering my opinion on a widget. :lol:

Good luck

What guitar hiro said was spot on.

1985 AST40 OWR

Neck plate mounted upside down...

Birdseye maple neck.

Just preserving pics for future readers.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.51.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.52.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.53.11 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.51.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.51.32 AM.png
    980.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.51.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.51.54 AM.png
    661.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.52.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.52.07 AM.png