Zakk Wylde Tokai ? from Canada?? Sure look nice....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I am "this guy"...

Yes, I pulled the auction, I was going to amend the listing and put "Not a..." but I couldn't get that editing to Save so I just deleted it.

Mick, not upset at all - in fact many thanks for letting me know. I may have been scammed by the guy in Canada but I don't want to mislead anyone.

I've got several other Tokai guitars (well, I think I have!) so might register them on here.

Cheers
Phil

Thanks for posting Phil, my bloody mail program bounced your reply.
Canada is full of these bloody guitars and its a never ending tale trying to let people know. The dead give away is the back of the headstock, NO Tokai's had the "Make under licence" transfer on the back, absolutely none. I noted that you had 100% feedback and we have a lot of Poms on the forum and there is a lot of Tokai knowledge in GB so my purpose was to inform only...
Thanks for taking it well some have really blown a fuse... :wink:

Mick

Leaving aside any merit that guitar may have as an instrument, I think that's the worst case of Fakai-ism to date. They have copied a very specific Gibson model and then they have Tokai'd it, right down to the made in Canada case sporting a Tokai logo, in order to distance themselves from the fraud.

Fakai! Brilliant! I like that, I might use that if I re-list it.

To be honest I happened to be in Canada and wandered into a shop were I saw one. I played it, thought it was great but then couldn't be bothered carrying it all the way home.

The Tokai name on the headstock was actually quite reassuring...as I have a Tokai J160 (superb guitar) a 335, Flying V and Thunderbird bass.

I'm not thrilled at being ripped off by the shop in Canada but I'm going back soon so I might call in again...

I'm actually quite pleased you told me as I'm fairly certain I would have sold it and the next owner would then have found out it was a "Fakai"....and I wouldn't like that to happen.

I was only selling it as I've bought a Greco Zemaitis and I just don't play this or the Firebird I've also listed...wich may or may not be a Gibson!

Hiya

Its good. I'm not exactly a Zakk Wylde fan but I liked the look the guitar so looked at the Gibson one but couldn't justify (to myself) the cost. Then I tried the Epiphone ones but the couple I played felt a bit "thin"...one of those subjective descriptions I'm afraid.

When I saw the Fakai one I thought it looked a LOT better than the Epi one, more akin to the Gibson so I had a go on it.

The pick ups are not that great but the rest of the guitar felt like real quality. The body is heavy, the neck a real handful and the finish really good.

Whoever did make it seems to know their stuff...and probably thought eventualy buyers would upgrade the pick ups to the EMG ones on the Gibson anyway.

If I was a full on heavy metaller thats probably what I'd do...but I'm more a "sitting a barstool singing laments" type..

I even sold my Marshall stack recently.

I'll have a think about selling it again but, if you chaps are in agreement, may run the draft listing past you before putting it back on EBay?
Phil

Hi Phil, welcome to the forum.

I don't think the dubious provenance should affect the value of that guitar as it looks to me like a decent Zakk replica. I wouldn't be put off if it ticked all the right boxes.

Hiya

...and thanks for the welcome!

You're right you have to buy these things on a subjective basis : if you like it, you like it. Hence my rather odd description of the Epiphone version...

The name on the headstock was reassuring though - based on the other Tokais I have.

I hope you will hang around for a while Phil, this forum is a great place full of very informative and nice guys and the way you have dealt with this has been a pleasure, so you'll fit in nicely... :wink:
I am a Zakk Wylde fan and am really curious about that guitar, i've now seen quite a few but never actually got to handle one.

Mick

Hi Mick,
No problem...I'm "working from home" today so just listening to my German colleagues whine at me about stuff...

The Tokais are great guitars...and I say that from the viewpoint of owning all the Gibson and Fender versions!

I took some more...but the weather and camera are not so great. How do I post them on here???

I just noticed the issue with the binding at the bottom on the neck too! Good job I took it off EBay!!!

Try puting them on photo bucket, its free. All you do is put your curser on the pic you have d-loaded onto photo bucket and a drop down menu appears, copy and paste the "IMG code" into your post and voila.... :wink:

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Try puting them on photo bucket, its free. All you do is put your curser on the pic you have d-loaded onto photo bucket and a drop down menu appears, copy and paste the "IMG code" into your post and voila.... :wink:

Mick

Yeah, this forum does not host pictures - you have to store them on another site and then link them in to your posts. I use Imageshack, so far it has worked well.

A tip: I generally restrict all the pics I upload to Imageshack to 800 x 600 size, yes it's not necessary because the photo hosting site will provide the means to re-size your images when they are accessed, but I've found that doing it this way just makes everything faster. Quicker for me to upload, and the pics display quicker in the threads and other places that I use them, eg ebay.

Here we go!
guitars14.jpg

guitars134.jpg

guitars135.jpg

guitars112.jpg

guitars111.jpg
guitars117.jpg

guitars110.jpg

guitars110.jpg

guitars126.jpg

guitars125.jpg

Latest posts