ST70 Springy in Metallic Green

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ordered all the parts as well as a new soldering iron in the article that you linked.

Alpha pots, sprague orange drop .047 mf cap, 5 way selector, 22 AWG cloth wire for connections.

Should be fun rebuilding this puppy.

Oh, and the ground plate has loops to ground the pots to so I don’t have to solder the ground wire to the top of the pots. Thank you Tokai. 8)

Thanks. Looking forward to adjusting the bridge. Just eyeballing it the saddles rise in a line from the low E to the high E. No curve. Playing it feels like a sitar or a high wire act. Lol.

Wondering if someone used it for slide guitar? 8)

wT4xnTq.jpg

Glad I got the truss rod adjusted. That felt better immediately even though it was only a half turn.

A half turn is quite a lot. Once you set up the bridge and string heights etc it may require a tweak on the truss rod again.

Highly recommend Dan Earlwine's book on setups.

Yep. I’ve never held a Tokai and felt like the neck was that far off before. Usually the action is pretty low. I thought I may have to put in a shim if that didn’t work, but it seems fine.

Once I adjust the saddles I may loosen it a tad bit. Will see.

As I said above, somebody else was messing with the truss rod before I got it. You can see by how messed up the slots are in the photo attached. I doubt it left the factory like that. So who knows.

LKnC9UE.jpg

I switched the one ply trem cover with a 3 ply mint green USA part.

Holes don't line up exactly, but close enough to not have to drill anything.

I think it looks nice.

Original one will go into the case.

8Pt4r6i.jpg

Getting there. I moved the parts over to a new pick guard. Seems the hole pattern is slightly off though.

Is there a version available for Asian guitars for Strats in mint green? If so, anyone know where to find one? I would rather not drill any new holes in this body.

Ags0XHH.jpg

QuzNNLe.jpg

6fDmbWL.jpg

2zAdJhZ.jpg

7j7AImJ.jpg

Finally got a case for it. The Gavitt vintage style wire showed up today, so hopefully will start soldering things together soon. Ordered a different pickguard since the holes are a bit off on half of the ones on the Fender AVRI guard. Hoping the musiclily one has the same spacing for the holes. Fingers crossed.

6kLL2u1.jpg

So how clean do I need to have things before soldering? There’s some old solder on the pickup leads and a little on the ground plate lugs. Since the solder is conductive I figured it wouldn’t matter much if it’s not perfect. Am I right or do I need to get things spotless?

UHHY5eG.jpg

The fact that you have solder on each component means no cleaning requirements except remove any crusty bits and excess solder. Just add a little flux or the smallest dab of flux cored solder whilst making the joint.

Thanks. The solder is 60/40 with rosin core, so assume I don't need to add flux. I appreciate the help!

Here you go...

I have never named a guitar before, but the name Jade popped into my head, so Jade she is.

oKvrb4F.jpg

AAPlfJU.jpg

1E46RFk.jpg

Back