Metallic Blue MB Springy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384448166638

Seller is claiming that it is an ST80.

The electronics have been changed somewhat.

From the limited pictures it looks like at least two of the pickups and pickguard have been swapped out.

Most if not all of the metallic blue Springys I have seen were ST55s?

Any ideas? I like the color.

Q3VyiEl.png

nbdqhhQ.png

CmlIE5o.png

hmXhx27.png

DMSD89M.png

GUwi770.png

Is the top pickup in the photo (middle pickup) original?

Is it a black backed "MKII"???? See catalog shot above.

DMSD89M.png

The black backed pickup is a Fender Japan unwaxed alnicos with moulded plastic bobbins. They were fitted to some Fender Japan Strats in 89 or thereabouts .I like them. The guitar is an MB ST60 and would have originally been fitted with E s. The finish will be poly not nitro.

Btw, I thought the MKII was a humbucker? Was there a single coil version? I’m asking because I saw MKII in the catalog description above, but can’t read the Japanese text that is with it.

The seller just sent me this:

“As stated in the explanation, the pickup has been replaced.

ST-60 and below are U-shaped necks with poly-painted body

The ST-80 has a V-shaped neck and the body is lacquered, so the specifications are clearly different.”

I haven’t had an ST60. Does the ‘58 model have a V neck?

I found this cool ad for VS1 DiMarzios and the PAFs Tokai put in some Love Rocks.

This ad from 1981.

GilHU32.jpg

Sigmania said:
ST60 in the 1982 catalog.

LQOt55U.png

Translation by Hamamatsu:

The one-piece "U-shape" maple neck is the symbol of the 1958 strat. The playability is limitless by the body-contours. The tremolo unit is the separate type. The newly developed pu "ST vintage mk II" makes the tricky sound & charm. The best parts used for the hardware. The sense of total balance, its the surprising high quality vintage model for the wide-range of the expressions.

So...... "newly developed pu ST MKII"????

Is that a U? E? I thought MKII was a humbucker?

ST mk11 were used on B models and stamped U on the bottom. Slightly larger poles with a few more windings than a 60's strat giving 6.2k with Alinico V pole pieces.

Looks like most, if not all, of the electronics were changed including the pickguard?

I love this color, and they don't come along often in my experience. I have only seen ST50/55s in MB.

Would be a project to restore, but worthy of the effort. I made an offer, but no luck.

Back