Greco Telecaster: help please!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobretti

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster. I have acquired a Greco Telecaster of some description. At first I believed it to be a TL-800 telecaster but I am unsure. I understand it to be an early 80s model, but a number of anomalies are now giving me cause for concern about its authenticity.

I knew that certain parts were swapped out, like tuners and it would appear the bridge also. But I am confused that the neck doesn't appear to have a skunk stripe, unlike on all other Greco Teles I have seen. And the serial number on the neck plate doesn't seem to fit with any other Greco formats I have seen.

Here are some pics...might anyone offer their expert opinion?

http://imgur.com/gallery/N77qvZe

Thank you!

Cobretti

https://reverb.com/uk/item/6331718-greco-brazen-picker-professional-1980-1982-natural?locale=en-GB

It should look like the above

Thank you. Well mine looks a lot like that, but some definite alarm bells going off, like the lack of a skunk stripe on back of the neck. Has anyone ever known of one like that?

I appreciate your help!

The neck plate looks like the wrong one and stamped by hand. The neck looks nothing like any Greco neck I've seen either. You will need to remove the neck and scratch plate and see if anything under makes sense.
You might find that the neck has a maple veneer top, hence no skunk, this is a rare way of doing it though.

mdvineng said:
The neck plate looks like the wrong one and stamped by hand. The neck looks nothing like any Greco neck I've seen either. You will need to remove the neck and scratch plate and see if anything under makes sense.
You might find that the neck has a maple veneer top, hence no skunk, this is a rare way of doing it though.

Yes, that is how the neck is...a maple cap, glued in a bit like a rosewood board. Do you think it is feasible Greco made any like this or does this sound like a counterfeit?
Thanks for your advice.

I'm no Greco expert. You're going to need to take it to pieces and inspect them, also browse the catalogues.

The Greco that is based on has a 1-piece neck without fail. It looks to me like a half-decent attempt at a replica of a Greco, or the neck is a replacement with a new logo perhaps. The screws are all old style screws and the body looks to be SEN ash so it could be an original body with a changed bridge and neck. I'm not sure why someone would try to put a serial on a neck plate.

Did they put Schaller tuners on Grecos??

It's a one piece (Sen Ash?) body, so no matter what it is that is pretty cool.

Please post what you discover with the neck, etc.

Latest posts

Back