Please help me identify this Greco Mockingbird

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyl

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need a little help identifying a Greco Mockingbird that I may acquire via trade... I've searched in all the Greco catalogues I'm able to find online, from the mid-70s to the early-90s ones, but no luck.

While it's a kind of rare model, I've found some pretty similar guitars around the web, but two things are kind of strange: firstly, all the others I've found sport a "G" logo (which mimicks the old "R" logo B.C. Rich used in their heyday) while this one has got a "normal" Greco logo; and secondly, the serial number - which is not visible in the pictures, but the seller told me it's MA01379T - doesn't match with any of the Greco serial numbers schemes I've found online.

Can you please help me? I'd just like to have confirmation that it is indeed made in Japan, and to know the manufacturing year.
The seller says it was made in 1975, but all the similar examples I've found around are from 1980 - and I could be wrong but I think B.C. Rich wasn't already that famous by 1975...

(As you can see it was originally sold by TC Gakki, so that makes me a little more comfortable about it)

kopkqzncsxjdyyl3b3en.jpg

jyxefj6aclo6c8zmhhor.jpg

dqu7hmrqzrtvzpmsqxqr.jpg

zzyoizwlyc8fnoosfj1v.jpg

Found this

This guitar is modeled after original B.C. Rich Mockingbird, estimated to be made around 1980s by Greco. This particular mode, BC1800, was not listed in the official catalog at all, and made only by order. There are BC1000, 1200, 1300 to Greco Mockingbird models

Thank you, mdvineng!

In the meantime I pulled the trigger, should arrive on Monday... 8)

... But please if you all got more infos keep 'em coming, I'm really curious! ;-) :thumbsup:

The guitar arrived the other day, it's beautiful and plays and sounds great! 8)

Here are a couple of detail-shots that can maybe help to identify it:

Mockingbird-02.jpg

Mockingbird-03.jpg

Mockingbird-04.jpg

Mockingbird-07.jpg

... Maybe that final "...79T" means it's from 1979? :-?

Sorry for the delay, kinda hard to find the time nowadays...
Here are the pictures (sorry, short wires make it difficult to take good pictures!)

The rear cavity:
01.jpg

The only visible pot:
02.jpg

Neck pup cavity:
09.jpg

Bridge pup cavity:
08.jpg

Bridge pup back:
07.jpg

So, it was obviously made on order and, from the info I've gathered online, the pickup serial number dates to January, 18 - 1979 (so that should be confirmed)...

Any other infos? :grin: :wink:

johnnyl said:
Sorry for the delay, kinda hard to find the time nowadays...
Here are the pictures (sorry, short wires make it difficult to take good pictures!)

The rear cavity:
01.jpg

The only visible pot:
02.jpg

Neck pup cavity:
09.jpg

Bridge pup cavity:
08.jpg

Bridge pup back:
07.jpg

So, it was obviously made on order and, from the info I've gathered online, the pickup serial number dates to January, 18 - 1979 (so that should be confirmed)...

Any other infos? :grin: :wink:

The pictures are just blue squares

Latest posts

Back