Restored 1983 Greco Mint Collection EG - solid top

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
This is a very early (serial numbered 3 0***) 1983 (first full year production) Greco Mint Collection EG solid top.
The serial number indicates this EG as being one of the first few dozen of 1983 8)
It was marked 1 of 26 under the original finish, likely a limited series.
I stripped the guitar of all parts except the ground wire, and it was eventually restored by the buyer, in the UK.
IMO, the buyer/owner did an amazing restoration; hats off to his wonderful efforts 8)

Some of the particulars from the owner:
Well on this project I discovered that there's poly and there's poly. As we all know polyester is a nightmare to strip, but polyurethane isn't. Turns out this guitar had the latter and it just came right off with varnish stripper. So I left the finish inside the cavities but stripped the rest of the guitar back to bare wood. I then used red grain filler on the mahogany and did a nitro refinish. It's lightly reliced with a bit of checking and a few scratched and dents - very restrained though.

TP and aluminium bridge are from Faber, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and Fake58 bumblebee caps. The poker chip, jack plate, switch tip, trussrod cover and shrunken tuners are Fake58 too. Knobs are Vintage Clones from Fatboy and the pickguard is a Vintage Clone from Allparts that I worked over with aniline dye and grain filler. Lastly the pickups and rings are from OTPG.

This thing sounds amazing!

BEFORE ........ my old pics ..............

G5003.jpg

G5008.jpg

G50011.jpg

G50022.jpg

G50025.jpg

G50030.jpg

AFTER the new owners AMAZING restoration 8)

greco6.jpg

greco2.jpg

greco3.jpg

greco4-1.jpg

greco1.jpg
8)

Hot **** that's nice!!!

I thought the before pics were great but the refin job is stellar. Where did you find those horse tooth colored tulip tuners?? Is that part of the refin?

marcusnieman said:
Hot **** that's nice!!!

I thought the before pics were great but the refin job is stellar. Where did you find those horse tooth colored tulip tuners?? Is that part of the refin?

yeah, that is pretty **** sweet, isn't it?
you gotta love that checked nitro he did, just F - N amazing 8)

all of the BEFORE pics are mine & all of the AFTER pics are from the buyer

not sure about the tuners but he mentioned, "Fake58"

MIJvintage said:
marcusnieman said:
Hot **** that's nice!!!

Ooops :oops: In my excitement I'd totally missed that fact that you'd sold it and the refin was done by the new owner.

That is probably one of the nicest Les Paul re-do's I've ever seen. The color is gorgeous and yeah, the checking in the nitro is tits. Love that guitar..... something about a vintage finished plain top that is just so **** sexy.

....... and dig that wiring job :eek: ...............

this guy has some real talent; I'm really blown away by his restore job; just amazing ..........

he said it will be in three editions of a, "UK magazine called Guitar & Bass" ..............

heh he's been pestering me about that guitar all the time he's done the re-fin..once again..top bloke, and knows some cracking luthiers if u want handbuilt stuff... we had a great laugh doing my article, we had a stepladder out in the garden to do some of the pics!!!

congrats great job!

yes those fake58 tuners looks great ... about a year ago i put fake58s into my orville ... a bit tight tuners but they look just great!!

yeah,it's great and all but wow! that must have cost a pretty penny for all those parts..
I always did want to refinish my old '83 mint collection plaintop but I never felt that it was worth it money-wise,eventually I ended up selling it and got myself a EGF-1200.
nice job on the refin though..

MIJvintage said:
marcusnieman said:
Hot **** that's nice!!!

Just ordered a set of these tuners from Fake 58 - dying to check these out.

LarryC said:
yeah,it's great and all but wow! that must have cost a pretty penny for all those parts..
I always did want to refinish my old '83 mint collection plaintop but I never felt that it was worth it money-wise,eventually I ended up selling it and got myself a EGF-1200.
nice job on the refin though..

I picked up an '84 mint collection plaintop a few years back. Really nice and resonant, very lightweight. The back and sides were stained a very dark oxblood color and the burst was just like another '84 I have as well. Prime candidate for a refin. I got it refinished with a burgundy metallic top and natural back and sides. The grain in the mahogany back and neck is unbelievably gorgeous. It is one of my absolute best Lesters. It looks very much like Jimmy Page's wine red std. (as seen in SRTS movie) and was done by Marty Bell in California. Yeah it is poly for sure but turned out beautifully. The refin is the guitar furthest to the right in this pic.

4_Grecos.jpg

Latest posts

Back