1980 Custom Breezysound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

constipated

Reaction score
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/stinzoaw06usq71/AAALY7uw59Xtbs_hXOipi4AUa?dl=0

1980 'Custom' Breezysound.
Slightly odd hybrid with a 1959 Custom Tele body / 1950 'Broadcaster neck and headstock.
Doesn't seem to match anything it the catalogues exactly. Bought in London in 1980 - no modifications - apart from the bridge PU.

Looks like a TE70 BB

8UfoXrA.png

1981 Flat Top catalog

TE70 was the only one with white binding.

6OaVlGu.jpg

I believe the body is alder under the paint and poly finish.

I think the TE70 came with "TEA" pickups? Should be marked.

"U" neck?

Beautiful guitar by the way.

There was an option for a rosewood or maple board on the TE70.

A lot of Tokais are mixes of different periods. Can be a bit confusing.

You can see the color options on the right. The "R" at the end indicates rosewood board.

GP044Z6.jpg

Thank you very much for the information. The original bridge PU has a TE 8 stamp.
Sounds as good as it looks. I guess BB stands for Black Beauty?

You’re welcome. And yes, BB = black beauty.

I guess you have the "TEB" pickups then.

"TEB" pickups are what they called "TE Hot" in the catalog. "TEA" were "TE Vintage" pickups.

Cool guitar.

1981 catalog.

cfc8mKF.png

"Pickup (front). TE Vintage Pickup. I want you to experience the crystal sound. It's a super single coil pickup"

JFMbFiI.png

"Pickup (rear). Sharp and bright sound. Uses exactly the same coil material as the old."

uGvngaS.jpg

Google translation (not perfect):

Neck: The wide neck of the original Broadcaster, that is, the following two types based on the maple 1 piece neck.

48 Vintage model: Broadcaster material announced in 1948 Perfect neck head stock faithfully replicated as it is: Elegant closhan head with silver type.

The logo mark and the old Kluson type pegs show outstanding contrast and are dignified and really tasty. It has a nice peg head feeling. Also, as you can see from the back of the head stock, from the nut to the head. The line to the do is curved quite sharply. This is a correct reproduction of the original, and this curve is strong. The secret that creates a lot of tension and creates that crystal and funky old Tele sound. That's why. The string guide also has one round string guide at the exact same position as the '48 broadcaster. It's simple. Please compare it with other models along with the position of the logo.

Neck: Maple. There are two types of necks, V-shape and U-shape. V shape is ST series It's quite familiar, but it's a super original shape pro smooth that doesn't get tired of long play. Compete with the U-shape neck, which boasts a great playability, and its abilities. 12th fret. The Jishon mark also receives the original and the interval is narrow. It is these detailed considerations Is the source that conveys the original feeling as it is.

Perfect that is characteristic of the Flecking Tokai series. Flecking doesn't need to be explained anymore. For craftsmen, a groove that matches the fret tag with excellent sound transmission For edge treatment, specially adjusted iron core that withstands string tension and prevents warping, etc. The plan is perfect. Experience the smooth fingering and outstanding ease of playing that fits perfectly in your hand. I want you to.

64-Oldy model: This is a maple neck with a laminated rose fingerboard. Like the ST series 64 Oldy model, there is a black line on the back of the head and the back of the neck. No, it's a so-called rose neck made of exactly the same material as the original. Mania-like guitar freak. This is the best spec to give to Ku.

Headstock
: The position of the Tokai logo that shines in silver. Please pay attention to the shape of the string guide. This is a perfect reproduction of the feeling of the 1960s. It's a closhan head full of old-fashioned feeling. Tokai Kluson type peg is mounted on this If it is done, there will be no more. Of course, the tension that is the key to the old Tele sound is perfect and deep. It goes without saying that the curved old type closhan head has a secret.

Neck & Fretting. '48 Like the Vintage model, there are two types of fretting, the original V shape and the U shape. Perfect. I want you to try it first and realize its outstanding playability. Rose finger. The laminating method of the handle uses the round fingerboard that is completely familiar to the ST series. Acoustic characteristics, Rosesen is a leader in the sound scene, with outstanding effects and precision in all strengths. It's a sation.

Body: Body processing is also the highlight of Tokai's technology. Play an inexhaustible role. The computer-controlled "NCI router" is a perfect replica of the original. See the neck joint The delicate finish and the hole processing of the pickup & control circuit part are just divine. Also, the previous Telecaster has a center hole for wiring that runs from the front pickup to the lower right, Like the original, the TE series has a minimum of fine holes made from the inside of the body and is delicate. It is a detail finish that also takes into consideration the di-vibration. And further flatten the jack mounting part. Fine finish. This eliminates the floating and improper installation of the jack plate. Perfectly so far. The replica body is also a special spec unique to the Tokai TE series that can never be seen anywhere else. The di shape is a restoration of the 48 broadcaster body. The material is also alder and auction.

Peg: Tokai Kluson type pegs that need not be explained anymore. Precision, peg shape. It is Tokai's self-confidence work that transcends the original with an outstanding feeling. Adopted for all TE series models for. It promises accurate and stable tuning.

Pickup: The source of The Tele Sound Two types <TE Vintage> and <TE Hot> are available.

TE Vintage. Bright. The sharp sound truly symbolizes the American sound and the West Coast sound. Sharply stretched The high tone and crying sound are reproduced as they are in the coil material of the broadcaster. Roy Buchanan, Robertson and Arlen Roth, a breathy old Tele dedicated to Albert Lee It's a sound. High response pickup that meets a wide range of needs such as rock, blues, soul, and country. It is a masterpiece pickup that represents a single coil.

TE Hot: Straight and crystal, yet powerful TE Hot boasts exquisite sound quality of Le & Exciting. Thorough analysis of the original coil material, The results of research and development are gathered here, and a high quality pickup that expresses 100% of the guitarist's sensibility is completed. I made it. The sound created by the best matching with the perfect swordwear truly represents the world of wonder. It's a Tele sound.

Control Circuit: Have you ever noticed by playing the Tokai TE series? It should be completely different from the copy model of. Smooth response of volume, crisp without muffled even if the sound is reduced. The range and depth of expression, such as the sound, is truly diverse. The key, that is, when the secret is disclosed, is as follows. First of all, the curve characteristics of the volume, all TE series are A curve, that is also IM. Just a copy. When it comes to guitars, you can change the B-curve from 250KS to 500KS as originally done, but the human ear I dared to adopt the A curve because of the characteristics of the above, that is, the problem of hearing. In other words, the A curve is better than the B curve. It sounds like the function of the volume changes more linearly and smoothly, and it is a guitar that makes full use of the violin playing method. I used IMQ for the strike. 1000PF so that the sound will not be muffled even if the volume is lowered further The capacitor effect is produced by the capacitor. A normal tone condenser is 0.047MF. The TE series policy is where the range of expression is further expanded while making the best use of the nuances of the original.

The original bridge and tailpiece bridge is 3 way, but the TE series is Tokai's original 6-way. This is already I want you to catch it purely as a musical problem. TE that can adjust the string height and pitch of 6 strings individually It goes without saying that the series can adjust the pitch more accurately than the 3-way type. Also, the string height of each string Since it can be adjusted freely, you can get the tension that suits your style. Functional aspect as a musical instrument Don't you think it's excellent even if you catch it from? TE50 / 55/70 is a steel bridge type OTE80-85 The brass type, the string height adjustment screw, and the pitch adjustment screw are heavy duty black das. It's Yip. The tailpiece is an L-shaped Tokai original and firmly supports these 6 bridges.

Special Spec Old Parts: All parts are old type strap buttons, control plates, pickers Do, string guide ... all according to the original material that does not match the type with other copy models Special spec parts. In particular, the jack holder is installed in exactly the same way as the original from the 381 new spec. Adopted law and material. TE series that is a perfect replica of everything from the body to the parts to the sound Zu. Another old guitar enthusiast's chest squirrel series was born

TBH I'm not sure when I bought it (we were young!).
More likely an '81 purchased in '82 according to my partner.
I did wonder if Tokai based it on this Broadcaster owned and modified by Steve Howe.
sam_6870.jpg

What is the serial number? That will tell us what year it was made.

00xxxxx is 1980
10xxxxx is 1981

Numbering system changed in 1982. Maple neck would be 4 or 5 digit 1982-

constipated said:
I did wonder if Tokai based it on this Broadcaster owned and modified by Steve Howe.

It's possible. The design team at Tokai were self proclaimed guitar freaks.

But... they also mixed fretboards/necks from different periods.

See the color/fretboard options for TE70s in 1981.

The bound body TE70 was available with a maple fretboard in 4 colors.

AzeaeFA.png

Andy Summers also played a mismatched Tele. A 1961 double bound 3 tone Fender Tele body with an older maple neck.

From Vintage Guitar Magazine:

"Tell us a bit about the Telecaster you used in the Police."

"I bought it off a kid in Los Angeles prior to the Police for like, 200 bucks. He wanted the money and I needed a guitar. I was very fortunate; I realized later that night, “This is a really great guitar. It’s magical.” And I offered to give it back, but he didn’t want it. For me, it was a life-changing instrument. I still have it, obviously – I can’t get rid of a guitar that changed everything for me and I used to record almost every single Police track. It’s a hybrid instrument, whoever had it put a Gibson humbucker in the front and an overdrive switch powered by a nine-volt battery. There was an out-of-phase switch on it, as well. So, somebody really played around, and it was an absolutely kick-*** guitar. I barely play it anymore, though."

4UI4hVR.jpg

https://www.vintageguitar.com/32439/andy-summers/

The comparable Tokai model would be the TE70YS, excepting the changed electrical system.

Back