TOKAI Breezysound - 1983? Not sure

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nalewa1

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought Guitar as on photos. Can you please help identify it? I think it is TE50 from 1983 (block logo) but not sure as pickups looks little bit different (wax and brass plate). On Neck pickup there is letter "A" and on the bridge "B". Colour is metalic red. Also what is interesting that neck wood inset is made from dark wood (almost black) -

Also not sure why I have thin a piece of paper under the neck (english sugesting It was added later). Should I keep it? Might it have bad influence on sound?

https://imgur.com/a/IjpiCyX

Thanks for help ;)

zO83qcd.jpg

Hmmmm. Looks like you have a mix of things.

lRrSZNh.jpg

DxtF7dC.jpg

A and B pickups were for different guitars. TEA were for higher end guitars. TEB for lower.

X4KqYjN.png

Paper is an added shim for the neck angle.

lBSBQcB.png

And the serial number, 1023373, is for a 1981 guitar but your neck is from 1982/83.

AKvILDd.png

Don’t recognize those pots either.

I think you may have a guitar assembled from parts? Maybe 2 different Tokais?

Thanks for quick reply.
I found simillar guitar, I can see that pots are the same as here: http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25326
Neck looks almost the same but my have dark/black wood (Couldnt find the same neck enywhere).
There are also "deluxe" tuners, is it a standard?

Interesting with this 7 digit number. Do you know if there were tokai metalic red telecasters in 1981?
Looks like all fits really well.

I know TEB pickups are average, and TEA are good? I might replace them as pots and input jack are warn.

KZvbKzG.png

lBSBQcB.png

AYXPsvb.png

The dark wood is called a skunk stripe and covers the slot for the truss rod. The darker wood is typically walnut.

Still seems like a mix of parts.

Is there a stamp on the neck with numbers and an = sign like the one under the pots on the body? Like 1=9.

DWI8PbW.png

AKvILDd.png

Looking at the 1981 catalog, that color was not an option in 1981, but was by early 1982. So possibly end of 1981….

So the neckplate could go with that body. But the neck with that block logo decal would be from a year later.

1983 was a weird year at Tokai with lots of reorganization.

Still seems like a mix of at least 2 Tokai guitars.

In the spring of 1982, that color, MR, was available for the TE80 and the TE50.

TE80 would have had "TEA" pickups and 2 piece body?, TE50 would have had "TEB" pickups and 3 piece body?

Again, it's possible that these options happened at the end of 1981 because the catalogs were usually made in the fall of the prior year I believe?

kaaWihk.png

And to add further confusion, I saw this in another thread in reference to Tokai Strats, Springys. Your guitar is marked "Y".

mdvineng said:
Peter's book has body codes used before 82 as X Y A for models 50 60 and 80 series. With A always for the top end models. Y on 60<70 models.
Book also states 7 digit neck heel is 77 and stamped neck plate is 78. Your ser# is clearly 78, so it's down to production changes and when they actually occurred.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=198176#p198176

So from early 1982 (possibly late 1981) to 1984 the only models in that color were TE50 and TE80.

In 1981 and 1984:

the TE50 had a '58 U shaped neck in maple and polyurethane finish,

the TE80 had a V shape and lacquer finish.

Spring 1982 catalog with a Google translation.

g2she4I.jpg

qJwUQsH.png

● Neck: The following two types of necks are available based on the white neck of the original Broadcaster and the one-piece neck of the fluffy maple. '48 Vintage Model / Perfect Net 7 which was rarely used in Tadashi's room as it was the 2 terriers of the Broadcaster announced in '48. D-Hudstock: Ezant's Croshan Had, bar-type D-Gomark and old Kluson-type pegs show outstanding contrast and give a prominent pug feeling. As for the string guide, 14 round string guides are set in the exact same position as the '48 broadcasters. I'd like you to compare it well with other models as well as other models of D Go.

● 14 Oldy model Uni Chichi is a Maple neck with a laminated rosewood finger board. Like the ST series 4 Orui model, there is no black line on the head Riki and the quake side of the neck 7, which is exactly the same as the original G. -2 "It's a neck. It's a spec of a record high for a marlike guitar freak.

●Headstock: I want you to pay attention to the position of the Tokai logo mark and the shape of the string void north of silver. Ordy Garden is a closhan hat full of love.

FvBqjEy.png

● Rosewood 1-piece neck Omachikawa Rosewood 1-piece neck graveyard. That rosewood Delhi that came close to me. "LET IT BE" is a mesmerizing freak that can't be swayed by the urge. The second neck with a maple-like treatment on one piece of rosewood, nothing more to say.

● Body: The highlight of Tokai's decay technique. Computer-controlled CNC is a big success, and the original is completely removed to 0o. The neck joint has a delicate finish of up to 43, and the set-up & control D-le circuit part is hoisted. The TE seeds have a small R dew from the inside of the body like Ojar, and the body vibration is subtle. Fine finish. This eliminates the dirty mounting failure of the jack plate. The Tokai TE series, which has been completely lifted up to this point, can never be seen in the Tokai TE series. The obstacle to the restoration of the alder is also a mess with Alder.

nMgaY3e.png

p-Zutand Bommy / And also Rosewood Terry's body appeared Rosewood Body is sandy with a rosewood body that is hollowed out on both sides with a maple pattern sandwiched between the timeliness of the rosewood material

BjEBv54.png

The width and depth of the expression are really ta-bombs, such as Poom's 2 muzzle-less sun 2, and even if the size is small, the sound is crisp. blood. That's right, it becomes like a ground when the Nakachi Tomb is open to the public. First of all, the curve characteristics of Volu 4, all TE seeds are A curve, which is also 1M2. Even if the volume is lowered further, the exhaust passiter is produced with a 1000 PF condenser so that it will not be painful. The tone condenser of the joint school is 0.047 MF. As a whole, the Tele D-Circuit has the holiness of TE Seeds where the original Nuan 2 is utilized and the expression is expanded to 5).

● Bridge & Tailpiece: 7822 Bridge & Tate from Pet 7 The piece is also Panfect Wrestling oTE50, leaving Toe M's invitation Orijal 6WAY, and all other model A are made with Perfect Wrestling 0 Rika's Bridge & Tailpiece that fits the history. There is. The plus bridge & box 29 i70 tape 2 adopted for TE80 has a perfect finish that can be said to be the final spec, and the spiral bridge's string harmonic release screw round head pin 4 tone. It's just like a flower screw. Adding new charm.

RFmSQKQ.png

● Pick guard: Pick guard also uses Bakelite 1P pick guard for TE80N and BL. The same as the original material has the same dignity and taste. In addition to the celluloid 3-ply, all 59 Ipneck-sama have been weakened by age group.

● Color I would like you to pay particular attention to the color of blonde hair. A violent ton of bad stuff finally reproduces the Vintage blonde color at the early age of sweat and mixing. 4 A vintage salah that can be seen by the emperors such as A Aalen Ds and D Bee D Bertlin. Other colors are also old-fashioned. It is a full lineup with the addition of TE200's Rose Wood model.

● Special Order Parts: Pants are peeled off and old type. Strap button, control plate, pick guard, string guide ... All the original squishy parts are the same as the original material, which is not the same as other copy models. Adopts exactly the same mounting method and material as. The TE series with the perfect 70 Rika, which is the same as the parts and sound. In addition, another old guitar Cona's cell Sawagin Swords was born.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26114&start=15

The wiring has definitely been altered.

I'm seeing a broken lug and remnant solder for the lug to ground to the top of the pot.

Safe to say that it did not leave the factory with two different types of pickups.

pWCplgm.png

This may explain why your guitar and the one you linked had folks messing with the wiring.

The 1M ohm pots seem to cause a lot of debate. I have seen it on this forum in other threads.

Here is a quick discussion about them re: Fender Teles:

If you’re looking for subtle tone tweaks rather than sonic transformation, experimenting with control pot values is more cost-effective than swapping pickups. Although Fender used 1m pots for a while, 250k is the standard value for Telecaster potentiometers.

It’s commonly held that higher-value volume pots make a guitar sound brighter, which is sort of correct. Conventional guitar circuits have inherent treble roll-off; and pickup inductance, pot resistance and cable capacitance combine to create a resonance peak at the cut-off frequency. Higher-resistance pots accentuate that resonance peak, which happens to be in the treble region with Telecasters. With hot humbuckers, you’ll get more of an upper-midrange boost.

The earliest Stratocasters had 100k pots, and they sound very smooth but less shimmery. Few will want to brighten up a vintage-spec Tele, but a 500k or 1m volume pot may drag a tad more twang out of a hot-wound Tele set.

You may want to mess with your tone control, too. Tele types often feel compelled to imitate truck horns and train whistles. Wah effects are popular, too. In addition to pot values, you can experiment with a linear taper to alter the control response or try different capacitor values.

The stock cap is 0.047uF, but 0.022uF will make your Tele sound brighter and 0.068uF and 0.1uF will make it sound darker. The capacitor value will also alter the range of the tone control, so consider hooking up a bunch of capacitors to a rotary switch to decide which value works best for you.

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/25-fender-telecaster-tips/

Yes, you are right part of a pot is broken.

I checked marks on the body once again and it looks more like: T=9MB Y

on the neck there is 11= or 12= but I am not sure as it is faded

OK, that tells me that the neck and the body were made at different times and likely not mated like that in the factory.

MB???? That should say MR. Check it closely.

MB is metallic blue.....

Can you take a better photo?

And that code on the neck just verifies what we already suspected, the neck and body were made at different times.

It is looking like the body is probably late 1981 and the neck is late 1982/1983.

I think neck is U shape. It is quite thin, definielly not V.

About the neck code i cant tell really. There is 1 at the begining for sure, I cant tell what is the rest

I zoomed it a bit:

Looks like MB (or maybe ink formed that shape as you can see upper part is slightly smaller)

Also I saw someone else guitar and pot looks simillar - 1 looks broken and other one is soldered:

That's nuts....

Wrong color code, and mismatched parts.

Color changes happen, but it's unusual.

yKuS3uK.png

Latest posts

Back