Images of wiring and circuits on early Love Rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I would create a thread to capture images of Love Rock circuits as I was recently trying to hunt down info and had a hard time finding it.

I will post and invite others to post images of their guitars or pics from the web to try and sort out what was original, and what mods folks have made that they are happy with.

Originally I was trying to sort out which early Love Rocks had the PCB and which did not. From what I can tell it looks like up to and including LS120s had the PCB, and LS150 and LS200 had conventional circuitry.

Disclaimer. I am not engineer or electrician or even a tech. Just a guitarist trying to sort things out. I will let the experts chime in with tech support. 8)

PCB in my 1981 LS100S Love Rock

Seems original and "unmolested".

500k Ohm NOBLE pots. A (audio taper) for tone, B (linear taper) for volume.

Green "Chicklet" style caps.

DiMarzio PAFs with the black lead wires.

PCBs in LS80, LS100 and LS120 look similar (same pots and caps) except the LS80 originally had Tokai 57 PAF pickups with white leads rather than DiMarzio PAFs with the black lead wires

bKvUHFI.jpg

Qtta0X7.jpg

The LS150 and LS200 did not use the PCB and came with different pots and caps.

Here is a 1982 LS150 (owned by member Cliff from his flickr account) with what appears to be original wiring.

Similar to wiring in 1981 catalog shot for an LS200.

Note orange caps and pots with large pyramid shaped notch, different than the pots I have seen on guitars with the PCB.

Also has DiMarzio PAFs with black wire in this LS150.

LS200 had Seymour Duncan PAF pickups.

Mjo4fw0.png

A 1982 LS150 (owned by member Cliff from his flickr account) with what appears to be original wiring.

Similar to wiring in 1981 catalog shot for an LS200.

Note orange caps and pots with large pyramid shaped notch, different than the pots I have seen on guitars with the PCB.

Also has DiMarzio PAFs with black wire.

Mjo4fw0.png

My 1983 LS80 with PCB.

Tokai 57 PAF pickups with white wire.

Green Chicklet caps.

AIuCXlh.jpg

Hi guys,

You are correct about the models with PCB and the models without.
Keep in mind that all these Models (maybe LS-200 could be the exception) are wired with the "Modern" harness and not the "50s harness."
The difference is where the tone pot and capacitor join the circuit.
I actually do a lot of "50s Conversions" here for Aussie guitarists.
I do a full system using VIP 550k pots, Emerson PIO bumblebee caps and Gavitt cloth wiring. Some of my customers couple this with SD Antiquities pickups for a change that is unmistakenly vintage tone and power.

regards
Peter Mac

Hi guys,

You are correct about the models with PCB and the models without.
Keep in mind that all these Models (maybe LS-200 could be the exception) are wired with the "Modern" harness and not the "50s harness."
The difference is where the tone pot and capacitor join the circuit.
I actually do a lot of "50s Conversions" here for Aussie guitarists.
I do a full system using VIP 550k pots, Emerson PIO bumblebee caps and Gavitt cloth wiring. Some of my customers couple this with SD Antiquities pickups for a change that is unmistakenly vintage tone and power.

regards
Peter Mac
Hi Peter,
I'm did some work on a 1980 LR a long time ago, but have just bought some 80's pickups of the same vintage to attempt to get the same sound. I need to replicate, as far as I can, the pots and board. I don't suppose you have a wiring diagram for them please?

You may be waiting a while to hear from Peter. Meanwhile, here’s a diagram from the 1981 Tokai parts catalog.

IMG_8946.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8947.jpeg
    IMG_8947.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1
I got a PCB a while back because I was after the Noble pots. I think I posted in the classifieds section on this forum.

IMG_8993.jpeg

IMG_8994.jpeg

Last edited:
Back