Springy Authenticity

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

Post Reply
Trapist_e
Plucker
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:20 am

Springy Authenticity

Post by Trapist_e » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:35 am

Hi all,
As a owner of Burny Les Paul , I'd like to purchase also a strat, and I want Springy so bad.
I found one on Reverb, that looks good to me 1980 ST-50 Springy, and I think the price is adequate.
I know st-50 is a low-key Springy, but should I care?
From what I read all characteristic things for 1980 are right, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

Second one is also from Reverb: 1979 ST-42 Springy, but I have problem with stickers on head. They look like not applied by factory. I can see damaged "42" stamp at the end of fretboard, but it looks weird.
Thanks for helping me, and have a nice day..
1977 Burny Les Paul | 1968 Orpheus XII (Bulgarian)

cerb
Plucker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:06 am

Re: Springy Authenticity

Post by cerb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 am

At first glance they both look OK to mr but the ST-50 would be my choice. Regarding the decal applied over the finish, that's how Fender did it in the old days. According to many vintage aficionados it's the only way of doing it. The reason was that the wet finish destroyed the decal so they had to apply it on top of the dry finish instead. A correctly made vintage reissue still has the decal applied over the finish.

mdvineng
Guitar God
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am
Location: manchester

Re: Springy Authenticity

Post by mdvineng » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:05 pm

The neck has been ruined on the 42. :-?
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

Trapist_e
Plucker
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:20 am

Re: Springy Authenticity

Post by Trapist_e » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 am

mdvineng wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:05 pm
The neck has been ruined on the 42. :-?
Yeah, I know, but what do you exactly mean?
1977 Burny Les Paul | 1968 Orpheus XII (Bulgarian)

Trapist_e
Plucker
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:20 am

Re: Springy Authenticity

Post by Trapist_e » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:47 am

But isn't two different numbers from neck pickup cavity and from neck bottom weird situation?
1977 Burny Les Paul | 1968 Orpheus XII (Bulgarian)

ajaxlargo
Plucker
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Springy Authenticity

Post by ajaxlargo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 am

Trapist_e wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 am
mdvineng wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:05 pm
The neck has been ruined on the 42. :-?
Yeah, I know, but what do you exactly mean?
I'm guessing he means that the amateur scalloping of the fretboard ruined it, it certainly would ruin it for me....

mdvineng
Guitar God
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am
Location: manchester

Re: Springy Authenticity

Post by mdvineng » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:44 am

ajaxlargo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 am
Trapist_e wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 am
mdvineng wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:05 pm
The neck has been ruined on the 42. :-?
Yeah, I know, but what do you exactly mean?
I'm guessing he means that the amateur scalloping of the fretboard ruined it, it certainly would ruin it for me....
Exacto
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

mdvineng
Guitar God
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am
Location: manchester

Re: Springy Authenticity

Post by mdvineng » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 am

Trapist_e wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:47 am
But isn't two different numbers from neck pickup cavity and from neck bottom weird situation?
It seems that most matched but there are enough examples of none matching ones around. I wouldn't worry.
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

Post Reply