Help Authenticating Springy Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaicanadaguy

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here looking for some help from more knowledgeable people to help identify this Springy Sound on Reverb and to make sure it isn't a fake (Seller is relatively new and doesn't have that much feedback, and I really don't know much about htese guitars). Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

https://reverb.com/ca/item/37871826-tokai-springy-sound-1970-s-sunburst

Really interested in this guitar (and in joining the Tokai club) but I just want to make sure I'm not getting scammed!

Thanks a lot,

Canadiantokaiguy

The neck looks correct for a 1980-1982 Springy. Deluxe tuners and stamps look ok.

The body routings don't match that of a Springy. I can't see any stamps.

I don't recognise the electrics, but they are not Springy.

For what it's worth, here is what the seller had to say about it when I asked him about it's authenticity. I have no idea if it's BS or not...

"It’s a one piece body without serial number. Only made in the 70’s. That’s before model numbers and later they became two piece bodies and three piece. Later in the end of the seventies they had serial numbers. I have several ones with two and three piece bodies"

That's not believable.

Until about '80, the Springy's had an allen adjustment for the truss rod, not cross head.

Maybe if it was a very early ('77), it could have different routings, but it would have had a smaller neck plate and serial in the neck pocket, which is not the case here.

By the time production entered '78, the serials were on the neck plate and the routings had recesses for the pickup screws.

The pickps don't resemble anything I've seen from Tokai in the 70's or 80's, the electrics look cheap, and there's no brass control plate.

Sorry, but I think this is a partscaster, but I'm certain others will chime in.

Yeah I am not buying it either. Missing the 'donut rings' around the neck screw holes inside the pocket. Tokai neck on a Matsumoku made body maybe? Also the Greco/Ibanez/Matsumoku guitars used the STC stamp block tremolo, I don't think Tokai has the S.T.C. on there.

Latest posts

Back