Phoenix Phantom Series Headless Bass - Need One Tuner Jaw

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headless phantom

Reaction score
Hi,
My first post, so I'll apologize in advance for anything I do that's wrong. I'm looking for some help with the Phoenix Phantom Series Headless Bass that I have, which I believe was manufactured by TOKAI between 1981 - 1985. The Phoenix Phantom Series included Basses, and Guitars. As far as I've been able to find out they were sold exclusively in Canada, although they do turn up occasionally in the US, and were in part sponsored by Larry DiMarzio, since all had his PUPS. The DiMarzio PUP in my headless bass is a DiMarzio DP 121BCU. Found the headless bass with it's original case, in pretty good shape given it's age of about 35 years. I figure its one of the earlier models because the separate bridge, and tuner assemblies are really solid. The problem I have is that it is missing one of the tuning jaws, it's shaft, springs, and adjustment knob. I will be posting pictures, as soon as I figure out how to, but I wanted to get this started. There is nothing on the bass that says TOKAI, but I have found information through the internet that it was made by TOKAI. I have looked through the TOKAI Catalogs, but found no mention of the Phoenix Phantom Series.

The only markings on it are -
PHOENIX PHANTOM SERIES on the upper horn
MADE IN JAPAN on the neck plate
6-33 inside the electronics routing

Pickguard is a mat black
The Volume POT has a pull-out that changes the tone/shape of the single Soapbar PUP.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I will be posting pictures soon.
Regards, Bruce

I can't help you much, other than the very few gut shots of the Phoenix guitars i've seen don't resemble similar Tokai routing etc from that period. I believe they were a Made for Canada export name, much like Mann (Ibanez). I have seen VERY few however and never a bass. Could be that some were made by Tokai, some by other factories in Japan. Post some pictures up of the insides, especially the 6-33. That does sound like Tokai markings.

Hello,

My name is Artyom,

I have Tokai headless bass guitar, the picture of which I can send to you. I am looking for any information about it.

Best regards,
Artyom

Back