Help identifying early 80's Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Goldstars basically coincided with the non spaghetti logo. (Edit: block logo Springy in between in 1983)

I assumed this was sensitivity around Fender’s litigation, but just a guess.

And Goldstars have a steel trem block. So that helps with the date.

Steel attracts magnets. Pot metal is an alloy and may not have iron in it.

So you might try a magnet on the trem block?

I can sort of see it under the bridge but not enough to see much.

Block logo transitional logo in flamingo orange.

vVFLvHk.png

uw8Zcvo.png

6A7a5fm.png

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tokai-springy-sound-strat-mij-1983-246090637

In the 1985 catalogue that I linked to in my first post, it looks like they all have the spaghetti logos. I don't know where I read this (probably somewhere on the forum), but apparently the UK imports had a specifc block logo for a time. I'll ask him to try a magnet, but I have a feeling it's the zinc pot metal due to the way it aged.

Oh, another thing I came across is that some guitars had different bushings for the tuners. Some were circular and others were the shape of a bolt. I have no idea what models came with what - I think round was standard.

Do you know if there's anywhere I can find all the Tokai catalogues in English? I've found a few but none give details on variations, so I may spend a while translating the Japanese spec sheets to understand the models better.

Here's some more pictures I found of the hardware if it helps at all.

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

Sigmania said:
Do you know if the 5 digit and L serial numbers ran concurrently?

And what is the “R” in ST50R and ST60R?

R = Rosewood fretboard

The different types of ser# denote different periods of Fenders
Final Prospec saddles were 81<85
5 digit ser# emulate a 58 style Fender U profile neck skunk stripe, square tree tst40 50 70.

Interesting to hear they may have continued the spaghetti logo in Europe. That’s news to me. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe someone will add to that?

The mid 80s was an odd period for Tokai. They had to deal with litigation and reorganization. Lots of variability during that time.

That’s a sweet guitar by the way.

I added images to above posts to try and preserve info. This has been an interesting thread.

More interesting info from the Faber site including about finishes (FO) and the block logo.

BTW, the founder Gottfried Schmid is a member here. Great resource.

cDL9UVl.jpg

XWKOrB7.jpg

DMoxLQz.jpg

shortymcsteve said:
Do you know if there's anywhere I can find all the Tokai catalogues in English? I've found a few but none give details on variations, so I may spend a while translating the Japanese spec sheets to understand the models better.

I don’t. I have taken photos in the past and then run them through google translate I believe.

That Faber-Castell data. Some is a direct copy from Peter's book, same exact paragraphs in some areas and same typeface used. It's a good amalgamation of what's floating around.

Yeah. That’s what I assumed. Unfortunately I don’t have a copy of Peter’s book… :roll:

Sigmania said:
Yeah. That’s what I assumed. Unfortunately I don’t have a copy of Peter’s book… :roll:

Mines deteriorating rapidly due to looking up information for others :eek:

Hi guys,

Taking all the features into account, I would place this as a 1983 TST-55 FO Goldstar Sound - especially with that serial number. This would be a 1958 replica. Interestingly, the BLOCK logo was used on both Springy and Goldstar for the UK market only - I have seen both.
This is very original - apart from the obvious logo change - with matching neck/body stamps, brass grounding plate, pots and the 'Deluxe / Final Prospec' stamp combo used from 1981 onwards. This is not an ST-70 due to the one piece maple and skunk-stripe neck. Maple ST-70 necks have laminated fingerboards and no skunk stripe ( think 66-70 CBS Fender ) but with the smaller headstock.
I am listening Sigmania...

regards
Peter Mac

I owned and foolishly sold a fire orange block logo Springy ST50 with U pickups and the brass plate under the pots, so FO was an option in 83 in Europe at least .Your guitar in my opinion is an 83/84 alder bodied ST55 in FO.

I came across some interesting stuff translating old catalogs. It looks like Tokai was aware that buyers might switch decals like what happened with this ST55-FO, and were borderline encouraging it.

I’m basing that off of these translations from 1979 foldout catalogs:

Sigmania said:
★ Like the old one, (decal) is pasted on top of the finish. If you scratch it strongly with your nail, it will come off. If you use this well, you will be shiroi ????

C0CCfvs.jpg

And:

★ Like the old one, the name is on top of the paint. If you scratch it strongly with the claws, it will come off. If you make good use of this, it's funny ????

p5nLnXS.jpg

Latest posts

Back