ST70 "Rare Model"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ST100<120 had Dimarzio VS-1 with black backs but not exclusively.
ST60 80 had the Gotoh ST vintage stamped E, wound to the same original Strat spec and average around 5.7k alnico V.

Fair enough. He may drop in and comment. Would be interesting to know how he figured it out.

At any rate, the ST70 came with E pickups, whoever made them.

Di Marzio to my knowledge, never made any grey backed strat pickups. Here is a VS1 from back in the day. https://www.eddievegas.com/store/details/1981-NOS-DiMarzio-VS_1-Fender-Strat-Pickup-34-year-old-New-Part.php

I found this cool ad for the VS1 DiMarzios.

Also shown are the PAFs that Tokai put in some Love Rocks in this period.

This ad from 1981.

9fyBQQl.jpg

Thanks for getting this thread together Geoff 8) Lots of great info here :)

I learned that Tokai did indeed make a 'replica' of a 1964 Fender Maple cap neck Strat.
Examples of this particular ST-70 variant are most certainly the rarest examples of a ST-70.
The Flamingo Orange example that TF member leadguitar_323 has pictured in the other thread is just insane. 8)

Besides that point, I would think that any example of a Tokai ST-70 would have to be quite rare.

Looks like at least one Silver Star had the laminated maple board like Jimi's 1967 Strat?

This is from a 1981 SS60.

K9iqbp9.jpg

rr0heZl.jpg

So it looks like both ST70s are featured in the Spring 1982 catalog. I somehow missed it? Rosewood slab and maple veneer versions.

8xdYF2D.png

1960 MODEL ST70-MRR ¥ 70000 The Esprit of the old model, the flat rose fingerboard laminated neck model ST70 is now available. An elaborate style dressed in the long-awaited metallic red of old guitar enthusiasts and live musicians. The brilliant coloring and the old-fashioned sound with a withered taste are outstandingly unique. A fashionable guitar that develops a splendid and exciting stage. A new item that is expected to change the history of the ST series.

The maple version is called the "Rare Model" in that catalog.

MCZgoMV.png

1964 RARE MODEL ST 70YS ¥ 70000 ST 70-YS, a new myth of the ST series. "Maple fingerboard neck" model that was slightly manufactured in the mid-1960s with rosewood fingerboard specifications. High-grade and perfect hardware, the newly developed P.U. assembly is mounted on the same celluloid 3 ply pickguard as the original material. Surprise! Excites Old Mania as a "One of a Kind" guitar. If you don't know the musician who uses this old rare model, you can't call it a true guitar freak.

Colors I have seen so far.

ST70R: YS, MG, BB & MR (catalog).

ST70: FO & YS.

Latest posts

Back