Question About Vintage LS Top Finish Color - OS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have seen vintage Tokai LS examples with the OS top color listed as (1) Old Sunbust (2) Original Sunburst

I don't recall seeing any Tokai material that stated anything other than 'OS' so, my question is, what does OS actually represent, and can this be documented via Tokai literature/catalog material?

Thanks

8) just read the 1981 catalog and it says that "OS" means "old cherry sunburst" and "ON" means "old natural" and "OR" means "old red".

HAMAMATSU said:
8) just read the 1981 catalog and it says that "OS" means "old cherry sunburst" and "ON" means "old natural" and "OR" means "old red".

WOW :eek: that is fantastic information 8) Thank you so much :D

8) you are welcome! this page tells about all the colors and their official names.

https://tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/81cat_p14.jpg

+1

I have an ON LS100. Always thought that was an odd color code. Now it makes sense. Thanks Hamamatsu!

Somebody should write a book or somehow cull all of the helpful gems from threads like this one. 8)

Sigmania said:
Somebody should write a book or somehow cull all of the helpful gems from threads like this one. 8)

we need to learn the Japanese language, then we would be good 2 go :D

as far as the OP question: I have been referring to the LS top color finish OS as 'old sunburst' for many years.
I had read the explanation for CS as 'old sunburst' a very long time ago & I thought, that makes sense.
Seeing it as 'old cherry sunburst' also seems appropriate, as the color scheme does seem to mimic many of the old Gibson LP tops that have the cherry colored 'burst edge faded to a kinda burned red, brownish look.

Latest posts

Back