2002 Tokai Love Rock identification

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcnamee

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I've got a 2002 (determined by the serial number, 0205674) Tokai Love Rock in my hands, and I would be very appreciative if anyone here might have some more details on its specs.

I'm not sure what model number of love rock it is, where it's made (I believe Japan?), or what it might be worth these days in excellent condition.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you!

John

O2BLLhC.jpg

lqTHfNN.jpg

n7tBta6.jpg

NkSL5o6.jpg

Looks like MIJ with that embossed serial number. It has the export dimple. Also I expected to see “Made In Japan” on the back of the headstock. That’s interesting.

Is the top veneer? How many pieces is the body as seen on the back. Will probably be hard to see joints. May need good lighting.

Thanks for the replies!

I don't know much about guitars, but it appears to be one piece on the back to my untrained eye. I'm very reluctant to open the neck pickup compartment as I really wouldn't know what I'm doing :)

I read elsewhere that the Made in Japan branding was actually a sticker on some models around this era, which then often fell off. But I can't back that up with any official resources yet!

I have taken two additional photos which hopefully shed some light on whether it is a veneer top, too:

v24FUO5.jpg

DUG7zVo.jpg

You would need to remove a pickup to see a cross section of the top to confirm that it’s laminated, but I feel pretty sure that it is.

Looks like a 2002 ALS70F.

Congratulations.

Specs from 2003 catalog:

ALS70F

Body: Flamed Sycamore laminated top
Mahogany back
Neck: Mahogany set neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Bridge: LS-VB Bridge, LS-VT tailpiece
Pickups PAF-Vintage MKIl
Controls 2V, 2T, 3way-SW
Color: All standard colors
available

JJVqIf3.png

I'm happy to trust your judgement Sigmania!

Thank you for helping me to identify this, I was completely lost.

It is much appreciated!

You’re welcome. When you get a chance, remove the neck pickup and see if the top is a thin veneer, check for a model number, and check to see if the pickups are MKII. That may confirm it.

Happy new guitar day.

Latest posts

Back