Hibiki HLS Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Sigmania said:
Hibiki Model LS360

HAMAMATSU said:
お問い合わせの件でございますが、HLSはヒビキさんからの特注オーダー仕様のモデルですので、
社内で通常モデルと区別する為、LSの前にHを付けております。
また、59ピックアップはヒビキさん企画のピックアップですので、弊社の製品ではございません。

東海楽器製造㈱
営業部

8) i emailed tokai-japan and asked them about the HLS guitars. the HLS guitars were originally the special-ordered LS/LC/etc guitars by the HIBIKI company who is the distributer of tokai guitars in japan. those HLS guitars and all were purely made by tokai-japan and usually have the very high specifications. like their 59 pickup. its a more vintage styled pickup made by tokai for HIBIKI. anyways, on many forums, it seems that the people often call HLS as HISTORIC-LS. i asked tokai-japan about this if its really officially so, their answer was NO! tokai says it only means HIBIKI-LS and its for the hibiki special ordered guitars. the 59 pickup is also the hibiki's product and its not the tokai-japan official product. the email from tokai-japan is above. hope you can translate it exactly! now we clearly know that there isnt the "HISTORIC" series in the tokai-japan catalog officially.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25341

http://www.tokaiforum.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=196110

y6md2Fq.png

Translation from Japanese text above:

"Regarding inquiries, HLS is a custom-made model from Mr. Hibiki, so in order to distinguish it from the normal model in-house, H is added in front of LS. Also, the 59 pickup is not a product of our company because it is a pickup planned by Mr. Hibiki.

Sales Department, Tokai Gakki Manufacturing Co."

A bit beat up, but wanted to document.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275323263...b_vTl8uRJe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

HLS-OL VS

2010 serial number.

Product InformationPlease check the photo for the condition of the product appearance.
It has been maintained by a musical instrument professional and works well.

Color: Sunburst system
Condition: B +: No problem in normal use
Manufacturing: 2010s
Pickup: Passive
Pickup configuration: HH
Number of frets: 22 frets
Neck scale: Medium
Weight: 4.17kg
Body material: Maple top / Mahogany back
Tremolo: None
Fingerboard material: Hacaranda
Neck joint: Set neck
Neck material: Mahogany
Serial number: 1022051
Accessories: Hard case, instruction manual,

ZMEOCpy.jpg

2pt7tmF.jpg

GWUyfSn.jpg

38mSSn7.jpg

Aha. I had wondered about HLS guitars when I spotted them in Tokyo on a trip there a few years ago. Took a few shakey phone camera photos in the shop before being chased out (inevitably) by Mr No-Photo!

The HLS-420 was the highest price one I saw. It was labelled as "Tokai Order Model Series". Was was marked up at Y352,800 from Y441,000 RRP.

Others were HLS-360, HLS-160Q and HLS-155F. And an HLS-7L (that one at Y238,000)

There were also a few high-end Tokai Strat copies - HST/GP-ALT-MOD at Y248,000. Though the were more HST and AST models at 1/3rd of the price.

I didn't know there were Hibiki Strats.

Just found this:

http://guitar.miyaji.co.jp/?eid=292

Lightweight!

TOKAI SUPER SHOP MODEL

Miyaji musical instrument order completed.

This article was written on Friday, February 01, 2013.

Hello everyone. It's been another month in 2013, and there are only 11 months left, but how are you all doing? As we have already announced to those who have read this blog, I am producing a guitar that is particular about materials as TOKAI SUPER SHOP, but I will inform you this time. Masu is a FENDER system. It's a challenge to a custom shop, not the Gibson style such as the 335 style and Les Paul so far.

The material was actually selected in Hamamatsu in late September 2012, when the heat still remains. It is a problem to always ask the staff of Tokai Musical Instruments who inevitably work in a factory where the heat is harsh. On that summer day, I heard that there was a lightweight one-piece ash and a straight-grained neck, and vowed to produce a guitar that made full use of the goodness of the material. When I recall, it actually took 4 months to complete. With the finished product in front of you, I am impressed.

When making this kind of guitar, the weight could be assumed as a numerical value at the stage of conception, but no matter how much experience it has gained. However, I don't understand anything about the performance feeling until I get the actual instrument. This is a difficult place to order a shop. Create a prototype and repeat trial and error Unlike ready-made products that are commercialized, it is a real game.

By the way, the feeling of crossing expectations and anxieties when unpacking the guitar I was involved in producing became middle-aged. It gives a slight fever and a feeling of excitement to me, but if it goes too far, it will not be excitement. There is a great possibility that you will become a god of guitar, or even a Buddha, due to myocardial infarction. Cool, Objectively confront the finished product.

The moment I picked it up, I opened the box and checked what kind of guitar was made from the outside ... "Light !!!!" The biggest feature of this guitar, "lightness", that you can experience before checking the grip feel and appearance of the neck. Yes, one of the goals was a lightweight guitar. That summer day when I selected the materials. The first stage has passed. Then, when you play it down raw with Jalan, the vibration is transmitted from corner to corner of the lightweight body, and the balance is perfect. A few minutes to enjoy the live sound without going through the amplifier for a while. The solid middle sound that comes from the texture of the straight neck is so great that you can feel the sound even with your left hand. Naturally, the ash body, which has a good sound that is directly transmitted to your belly, makes the overall total balance feel even closer to VINTAGE. And finally plugged into the amp. Since I was convinced that the material was good this time, I did not specify the pickup in particular (I considered replacing the pickup I like later and to keep the selling price down), I left it to Mr. TOKAI, but it is really Matchon. Good TWANG sound. The genuine TOKAI pickup does not have a strange habit, but rather it seems to output the goodness of the material obediently, which can be said to be a miscalculation. It's more than you can imagine, it's more than you can imagine. The materials and parts are specified in the specifications, but is it a business that can make a passion for making guitars with attention to detail? A polite work that does not make you feel any compromise even if you look closely. The awesomeness that every detail of the part exists to create a single sound.

Total balance and neck feeling when playing, familiar with amps The wood that I saw in front of me at the factory, such as the goodness of the ash peculiar to when it was done The board of Npeace Ash and the maple neck material of the grain are the skills and processes of the people of the TOKAI factory with Japanese custom shops. We have opened our eyes as a musical instrument that has been beautifully completed by the staff. You can say it.

When a guitarist picks up a new guitar, a new guitar from there It is a common story that the story begins. But that At the beginning of the story, a lot of passion was added to this guitar. It is out in the world with a story. You also get this guitar and produce the continuation of the story Isn't it.

Please see this page for details.

Tokai HST-MIJ LTD ASH STW / M
Tokai HTE-MIJ LTD ASH STW / M

see you.

by Moda

lrlFoM1.jpg

zPm7YOI.jpg

GbwK1Kw.jpg

SzP87bX.jpg

nLNon5F.jpg

YNGA1Ew.jpg

wJEWL1h.jpg

I do have photos, but they are shakey and rather low-res. I'm off out now, but will post them tomorrow.

According to the file info, this would have been in Spring 2013.

Wow. Same time as the article I posted above with the special order ST and TE.

Would love to see pics even if they are blurry. I haven't been to Japan. I can only imagine the sensory overload in some of those shops.

Hibiki article from 2012.

https://guitar-miyaji-co-jp.transla...tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

hello everyone.

Last week, I was shown one after another the annular solar eclipse created by nature, the sky tree created by humans, and the great works of nature and humans. I was quite impressed, but I was in Yokohama, so I couldn't see the eclipse because it was cloudy, and I could only catch a glimpse of the Sky Tree from the intersection in front of Miyaji Music.

I was completely out of Kaya just by watching both on TV.

By the way, speaking of the great human-made electric guitar, there is the Tokai electric guitar.

In the 70's, we pursued high-quality Les Paul style guitars and named them " THE REBORN ".

The special order product TOKAI HLS-240SF introduced this time is said to be the reincarnation and evolution of "REBORN".

Reincarnation of REBORN? Or rather, the cycle of reincarnation. If you have a fortune teller look at you, you must have been LS in your previous life, Arayashiki, or a very divine soul that is emitting an aura.

(When I think about it calmly, it's all weird things like zombies and biohazards that can be reborn over and over again, but I don't have a good image on the product introduction page, so let's talk about it here.)

ddh05Sa.jpg

TOKAI HLS-240SF.

As the name TOKAI SUPER SHOP LIMITED MODEL suggests, it is a rare model that can only be ordered by dealers called TOKAI SUPER SHOP (of course Miyaji Musical Instruments!),which is not listed in the regular catalogI can't say it's worth it.

I will take a detailed look at whether or not the guitar is enough to convince the readers of this blog that "this is a good guitar".

NE18DWm.jpg

In order to produce the HLS240 , which is particular about the material, it is essential to obtain good quality wood (especially mahogany one-piece back), and it is said that only 9 to 10 pieces can be manufactured.

I listened carefully to Tokai's factory manager and Hibiki Corporation before making it, and understood that this ordinary-looking LP-style guitar was actually a guitar that held down the pressure points firmly, and this sounded good . It seems that it will be, so it is up to you to order 4 bottles.

FDWypU4.gif

Well, first of all, the angle of the neck, which is the proud spec of the HLS series . "Considering the goodness of sustain and sharpness, the neck preparation angle is set at 3.8 degrees."

The original Les Paul is 3 degrees. Normal Tokai is 4.5 degrees, and this time's 3.8 degrees is in the middle.

What does this have to do with sound? Changing the angle of the neck and the angle of preparation with respect to the body. It doesn't just change the insertion angle. It will force changes in the transmission path of the string vibration, such as the junction between the neck and body, or more specifically, the escutcheon and bridge.

8A3YyMV.jpg

*Since the counterbore of the rear PU is minimal, the mahogany part is hardly shaved.

Moreover, because this mahogany is a one-piece back, you can get rich sustain.

m88aqeO.jpg

Conventionally, when changing the neck preparation angle, the mainstream method was to hollow out the counterbore on the pickup part of the body with a conventional jig . increase. This results in minimal hollowing out of the body wood, leaving a volume of wood in the body area. In other words, you will be able to make the most of the sound of the wood and achieve a richer sound of the instrument.

O2diFuL.jpg

The neck joint is of course a deep joint.
I actually held the guitar before gluing as shown in the image, and the joint surfaces were aligned with precision so that it would not shift at all even if I shook it.

This area is invisible after completion, so check it before building. Knowing that it would be impossible, I asked, "Is it okay to lift it like this?" Made in Japan. We are proud of our high technical capabilities.

Although the wood preparation has been sufficiently precise, the curve of the top is just measured from the original 1959 model, and it is an exquisite piece that combines sex appeal and ruggedness.

As I look around the body and move my eyes to the undulating Madagascar rosewood on the fingerboard, I feel satisfied with the quality that exceeds the price, and feel the bliss of encountering this guitar. There a place.

DpfT8Yn.jpg

Although the body and neck are curved like the original, the neck grip is very straightforward. It feels like it fits in your hand from the moment you hold it without making you feel peculiar.

When you actually play it, you can always feel the ringing even with your left hand holding the neck, and the feeling that the whole is ringing. The weight balance is also good, and it is a good balance that does not lower the head or hold it down with unreasonable force.

By changing the neck angle, the front pickup is moved about 1mm closer to the bridge, so the front sound is slightly trebly. increase.

The sprag orange drop capacitors used in this model are also well-suited, and the nuances of the sound can be changed not only by tone control, but also by volume .

The pickup is Tokai's original "The fifty nine".

suYaZaW.jpg

In my impression when I actually played it, the tone is sweet with no peculiarities, although there is some excitement around the middle and high. It is not a humbucker that emphasizes power and keeps distortion, which is common in recent years .

The rival in sound quality is around Historic, but considering the price, I feel like this is the winner.

If you are looking for a good quality LP and don't care about the Gibson brand, please try it.

There are 2 colors. Please see here
for CS and here for VF .

see you.
by Moda

2010 HLS160

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265958707563

NKrIqn2.jpg

p9kiW1s.jpg

UIx7ac3.jpg

FfGnEtT.jpg

Mgx9YJT.jpg

FOPEiqG.jpg

4lkpLPE.jpg

HpUn5xR.jpg

6xkvYDv.jpg

bmFNZG1.jpg

Body: Flamed Sycamore + Maple Top
Mahogany Two Piece Back
Neck: Mahogany One Piece
FingerBoard: Madagascar Rosewood
Radius: 300R
Frets: 22F 213
Scale: 625 312.5mm
Bridge: LS-VBBridge LS-VT Tailpiece
Nut (width): Delrin (43.0mm)
Inlay: Dish
Pickups: MH-2 NMH-2 B

Year of manufacture 2010

HLS160

TOKAI custom order model!

A special model with actual data taken from the 1959 Burst that fascinated guitarists around the world. The best tension and
sustain created by adopting a neck preparation angle of 3.8 degrees. Newly developed "The Fifty Nine" pickup. It
is a guitar that sets itself apart from regular models.

TOKAI's traditional craftsmanship

In the 1970s. when "Made in Japan" spread around the world. "TOKAI'" created the legend of the LS200 and LS150 with the
finest flame tops, and was praised by musicians of all generations. Modified to the best materials.

Special Pickup "The Fifty Nine"

"The Fifty Nine" is a pickup full of reality that completes the sound while comparing it with the "1959 Burst" We repeatedly changed the materials of all magnets and rolled cardbaord pieces, and finally completed it for the sake of sound. Pickup mounting position mounted it closer and installed it in the best position for more burst.

Neck Joint

The neck joint angle has been changed from Tokai's usual 4.5 degrees to 3.8 degrees to achieve the best tension and sustain. Sustain has improved dramatically because the tension is reduced and the strings move without stress. In addition, the deep joint has high rigidity, and the string vibration is transmitted firmly to the body.

Commitment to materials.

A hard-to-find "Madagascar rosewood" fingerboard and a mahogany 0ne-piece neck are used for the neck to reproduce a plump sound. The nut uses the same "Delrin" as the 1959 burst, Even in the invisible parts, we put maple on the top of the head, and we are particular about the parts.

Sdf9Swu.jpg

O5htwNe.jpg

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-tokai-hls-160-violin-finish.468853/

2010 HLS160

2010 Tokai HLS160-CS, cherry sunburst finish

One of a limited run of “Historic” reproductions of the ‘59 Les Paul made by Tokai exclusively for Hibiki Music in Japan. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the what the specs are supposed to be for this guitar so I included screenshots from Hibiki Tokai Super Shop Limited Model website. Reverb won't allow me to put the link in this ad, but you can get the web address off the screenshot and go to the Hibiki Music site to view specs for various Tokai HLS and HLC Les Paul copies, (translate w/google chrome). According to Hibiki (please go to their website and read it for yourself, not what the guy on the tokai message board heard from a guy who heard from a guy), the HLS160 model comes finished in ultra thin urethane, not lacquer. The HLS240 is lacquer. Also, the HLS240 specs include CTS pots, Sprague caps, and Switchcraft switch and jack. These components are not specified by Hibiki for the HLS160; it comes with the high quality Japanese electronics pictured in this ad. At least mine did.

The pickups are Japanese versions of SD 59s; they call them The Fifty Nine, and they are marked on the back as MH-2 N and MH-2 B. I believe everything on this guitar is as it came from the factory. There is no evidence of any mods.

There is a great YouTube video review of this guitar which is linked somewhere on this ad. Please check it out.

Get the vintage sound and feel without the "historic" Gibson R9 price. This is definitely the finest Les Paul I’ve ever played. Selling because I don’t play it much anymore. It's become a closet queen. That being said, I'm not in a hurry to sell it. If you're a local buyer who can pick it up I'm negotiable on the price, otherwise not so much.

Comes with the factory warranty card that identifies the model with the serial number.

There are two small dings in the finish: one on the side of the body just below the binding; the second smaller one is on the back edge corner near the control cavity, (both are pictured). All four knobs have a line on them that looks like a crack but I believe thats how they were made. If they're cracked, then it's a remarkably uniform crack in all four knobs. They're not loose, have never come off but there are close up pics of the knobs for you to see what I'm talking about. 

This guitar is in excellent condition. It looks, feels, plays, and sounds amazing. Fret wear is minimal. Includes the original locking hardshell case w/the key and all the original case candy.

uXfSJSU.png

5rioRbl.png

YCI2rS8.png

9RB1uaH.png

DwJXjbz.png

ZvooelF.png

0uWvyGK.png

https://reverb.com/item/26856986-tokai-hls-160-cs-2010-cherry-sunburst

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.23 PM.png
    999.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.27 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.31 PM.png
    957.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.37 PM.png
    820.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.47 PM.png
    955.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.03.59 PM.png
    645.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.04.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 12.04.38 PM.png
    995.5 KB · Views: 0

HLS245SQ​

2012年製 TOKAI HLS245 SQ CS Tokai Super Shop... - ヤフオク!

Description of item​

This is an exhibition of the TOKAI HLS245 SQ CS Tokai Super Shop limited model .

I bought it new as a collection in 2014 , but I didn't have a chance to use it and kept it in a special case containing a humidity control agent.

Since it is unused, the appearance, frets are in new condition, the neck is normal, and the truss rod has not been adjusted.

The protective sheets for the panels remain as they were at the time of purchase, and the genuine case grips and nameplate protective sheets are also the same as at the time of purchase.

All accessories are included at the time of purchase, and a genuine hard case is included.

Although it is a completely unused item, please contact NCNR .

Product Info

"Tokai Super Shop" limited model! The HLS240SF with the finest flame maple top was released first , and then another beautiful guitar with the finest quilted maple top was released! Ultra-thin lacquer finish achieves both attractive looks and tone. It is a book that condenses the deep commitment to vintage specs and the charm of "Made in Japan" . The body back is 1 piece mahogany. The frets are Jesker, which has a reputation for its good tone. A deep joint neck with excellent tone transmission and a Madagascar rosewood fingerboard. The pickup is "The Fifty Nine Plus" , which was compared with the sound of a real burst . In addition, the curve of the body shape is also measured from the real thing. The neck angle has been changed from Tokai 's usual 4.5 degrees to 3.8 degrees. Head angle is 17 degrees. I realized looseness of the tension and rich sustain. Delrin with good slip is used for the nut. For electrical system and CTS POT

i-img929x697-1681528391tab1ze146706.jpg

i-img929x697-1681528434jnktbu148017.jpg

Attachments

• i-img929x697-168152841181kbu0149878.jpg
    i-img929x697-168152841181kbu0149878.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • i-img929x697-16815287669nfv3z148253.jpg
    i-img929x697-16815287669nfv3z148253.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 0
  • i-img929x697-16815284626xomeu146233.jpg
    i-img929x697-16815284626xomeu146233.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0