Tokai goldstar sound mik?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reative

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m new in the forum and really need a helping hand! So I have this tokai goldstar and i’ve been always certain that it is mij, from around mid-eighties. Things changes and so I decided to sell the guitar. Here starts the fun part..

Guy who came to look the guitar insisted that it is, in fact, not an mij but mik, and was quite certain about his opinion. What do you think?
I took some photos of the guitar to dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Photos/Sample%20Album

Thanks!!

https://imgur.com/a/7KNTpJP
Does it work? :eek:
Not good with these things :D
And radius is 7,25, that’s been confirmed.

That’s Japanese. The serial numbers in the mid eighties follow a different scheme.

I’m thinking st-40, or is it tst-40. I’ve heard that st/tst-50 would have 5 sigit serial.

https://www.faberguitar.com/index....sO29a9h_Czj9oe8ogj4eHy0H23M4f3oPzZDW5JRKHPngI

9xQZ72g.jpg

Hmmmm. I’m not sure.

The markings look like Japanese production stamps.

The tuners are lower end ST model tuners.

The six digit serial is a little odd.

Could be a union of different parts? Not saying it is but that’s always possible.

Saddles are not marked.

Someone carved out your body. What was that for?

https://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html
There’s some info about serials.
I have one other tokai goldstar with sss body and that I know for fact that it is not made of parts but a real deal. It also has a 6 digit serial.
That sunburst has hss body.
What do you mean ”carved”?

The 5th picture you posted shows where someone carved into the body under the pick guard near a pickup rout. The picture is cropped so I can’t see what it is.

And I don’t think that’s an ST70 (which is what the registry says about six digit serial numbers for 1982) because of the non Kluson type tuners. Those were put on lower models.

So that information is not complete in the registry, or something is off about your guitar.

I am still thinking tst-40 because that other one I have is tst-40 (even has the oval sticker) and has 6 digit serial. But if I am correct, tokai bodies started to have hss routing mid eighties and foreward. So it can’t be older than 85/85.

Just thinking out loud.. :D

I was thinking it looks like an 84 and probably a 40 or the equivalent that year? I don’t know. Might Google that year and model and see what you find.

reative said:
Oh that one. Dunno :eek: .

Is that between the neck pocket and the neck pickup cavity? Wonder if someone did that to access the truss rod without removing the neck? Seems odd and definitely didn’t leave the factory like that.

Hasn’t bothered me.

But thanks! I think I’ll have all the arguments about the guitar beign mij. And sell it as mij.

Have to make a confession about why I decided to sell this tokai. Few months ago I got an new squier classic vibe 70. Modded it a bit with new big steel block (bought from ebay, fitted like a charm 8) ), better strings and set it up correctly. And played with that one ever since.

Doesn’t nessessary have the strong acoustic resonance as the japan tokai’s, but is much lighter and through amp I dont hear any major difference :lol: .

That’s great. My experience is that it’s like women or anything else. One will capture your attention for a while, then something different pops up. Makes life interesting I think. Enjoy the adventure. Signed Freebird. Lol.

Posting the pictures with the BBCode so people can see the guitar more easily.

piMLuxE.png

3PMztgx.png

4iJeAt1.png

VVycvq8.png

atPX9Ko.png

CUIH8Fh.png

9tpgzw0.png

Xu6NmJY.png

KcJCaIe.png

You’re welcome.

The 11=12 thing I believe is how they matched necks and bodies in the factory in Japan? I don’t believe that was done in Korea or China?

Also there are often color codes like YS or GS stamped in the neck pickup cavity for the sunburst pattern.

I think yours should be YS? I think that’s the 60s three color burst, Tokai called it yellow sunburst.

So sometimes you might see something like “ST40YS”.

Things were different however by the mid 80s. I don’t see that on yours, but maybe stamping model numbers was phased out by 1984? I don’t know.

Latest posts

Back