Tokai Model?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapster

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me identify the Tokai Les Paul I have please?
Serial no: 084256 ink stamped on back of headstock.
Doesn't say where made.
The headstock is bound with Abalone decal. There is an anomaly with the decal, part of it is missing which must have been prior to being lacquered.
The body is double bound and looks similar to a Les Paul Custom. See folder for pics
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1569J8bQ9yddXqMc1y0rgn-RPg1N1B2qq?usp=sharing
Kind regards,
Sapster

First glance it looks like a Korean or Chinese made Custom with the export dimple in the headstock.

Not sure what to think about the headstock logo. There are fakes out there. Where did you buy it?

i bought it from a second hand shop
When I removed one of the tuning keys it says on the underside of the tuning key made in Korea

What year of manufacture do you think? The guitar sounds and plays incredibly well.

I’m not sure. I don’t know anything about the Korean models. Looks like they had a “custom shop” where they made guitars with more care than standard production. Wonder if you have one of those? I have no idea. Maybe search on here for related articles?

Interesting thread re dates on Korean models:

"The MIK Limited Editions have a number on the back of the headstock that is just a model number (all guitars have the same number). Later they started adding serial numbers that started with letters then in 2004 they went with a plain number beginning with 04.

I need to update that page.

Ned"

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopi...&hilit=Korean+custom+Korea+custom+shop#p13818

Since yours begins with 08, it is my speculation that it is possibly from 2008? Just a guess.

A few more questions.

Is the top veneer?

Are the back and neck mahogany or dark stained maple?

Neck tenon looks like it is offset? Is that black grounding paint on it or magic marker?

Latest posts

Back