Unknown Custom Edition

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19tlb84

Reaction score
Hi all,
on Russian website music-inside.ru I've found reference to a 1980ies' Custom Edition model I've never seen before. Here's a link:
http://music-inside.ru/images/guitars/335-tokai-custom-edition/01-m.jpg
The description doesn't say which model it is, it's just called "Custom Edition" and said to have an alder body, maple neck with ebony fretboard, three Lawrence White "Superdrive"-pickups, five-way-switch, and 24 frets available on the top three strings. So what is it, when was it made, how many of these were built? Any information welcome.
Here's another pic:
http://music-inside.ru/images/guitars/335-tokai-custom-edition/04-m.jpg
And one more:
http://music-inside.ru/images/guitars/335-tokai-custom-edition/09-m.jpg
Thanks!

Hi all,

nobody an idea what model this is?

Looks to me like Tokai's twisted take on a Jazzmaster/Jaguar.

Well, I'm answering the question myself. According to Mr. Adachi San this is a TX-801 built around 1987 in very small numbers. I recently bought one in black. Great guitar in as-new condition! Here it is:

Cheers, Talbophile

There is currently a white one for sale at the Guitar Dude FL – to whom it may concern. That is a very fine guitar indeed, as I suppose any MIJ Tokai guitar is. I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Best, Talbophile

Saw the guitar you mentioned... how does your sound? Not much info regarding the guitar in google.....seems to be a rare guitar.....

Please let me know.

Thanks

19tlb84 said:
There is currently a white one for sale at the Guitar Dude FL – to whom it may concern. That is a very fine guitar indeed, as I suppose any MIJ Tokai guitar is. I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Best, Talbophile

uzzwHGE.png

https://reverb.com/item/41482237-1987-tokai-custom-edition-tx-801-ebony-fb-alder-body-made-in-japan

About This Listing
Tokai Custom Edition TX-801 in White
Made in Japan
SN#: 217039
Weight: 7lbs 12.7 oz's
Comes in a Gig Bag
TX801 built in 1987 in limited quantities

If you are an enthusiast of instruments that are unique, rare and hard to find, this Tokai is calling your name. Here is your opportunity to grab this stellar, off set bodied Tokai TX801. It was built with custom shop quality and is sure to be a crowd pleaser both visually and sonically. The Alder body has a snow white finish that has been perfectly paired with a rosewood fingerboard that is so dark and luscious it could pass as ebony. The fretboard rests upon a sweet maple neck and has been given Mother of Pearl position markers, a graph tech nut and medium jumbo sized frets.Prepare to be inspired by the tones that resonate from this beauty thanks to the Super Drive L White pickups. This guitar is sure to become one of your favorites in your musical arsenal... Don't let the opportunity of putting her in your hands pass.

This guitar is in very good condition with minimal playwear marks on the front and back. Please see pictures for a detailed look at these minor imperfections that do not affect the sound or playability of this sweet Tokai.

Features:

Off set body
Dark rosewood fingerboard
Mother of pearl position markers
Medium jumbo frets
Alder body
Maple neck
Graph tech nut
3 super drive L white pickups- created by Lawrence White in Ohio / produced by Tokai in Japan

I have seen those L Whites in other Custom Edition Tokais, but haven't played a guitar with them in it. Guessing they may be hi output?

Cool guitar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304276200389

Tokai CUSTOM EDITION

Models not listed in the catalog, made in the 1980s, have arrived!

Since it was not listed in the export catalog, it is presumed that it was a limited model produced in the "Limited Edition" line at that time.

I couldn't identify the exact model name due to the lack of materials, but since the "80" sticker is affixed to the neck heel, I understand that the list price at that time was 80,000 yen.

It has a unique spec with 3 points-supported synchro tremolo, medium scale, and 3 SUPER DRIVE L.WHITE pickups, and you can see that it is a guitar with strong individuality in both appearance and specs.

Although scratches, dents, and usability can be seen on the whole, it is suitable for the age.

The effect of the truss rod is good, and it is OK to adjust both the forward warp correction direction and the reverse warp correction direction sufficiently.
The warp of the neck has been adjusted with a rod, but since it is a slightly old instrument, there is slight distortion and rattling as a whole, but there is no particular problem in playing.
[None] Arm

[Weight] Approximately 3.35 kg

AVQhisg.jpg

GfMo38V.jpg

5Y8GlwG.jpg

XiEHWnz.jpg

W1k3cyV.jpg

ZSmqSBf.jpg

Its looks like a really cool guitar.

Thanks for posting.

Does anyone know that shipping from Japan is safe.

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have had lots of guitars shipped from Japan.

What do you mean by safe? As in packaging, or lack of tracking, or theft, etc.?

I have had no issues with any of the above on packages sent from Japan, and when shipped express it can take only a few days to reach me in the US. Pretty mind boggling I think.

Attachments

• IMG_6424.jpeg
    IMG_6424.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6425.jpeg
    IMG_6425.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6426.jpeg
    IMG_6426.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6427.jpeg
    IMG_6427.jpeg