Announcement : Recent Black beauty Premium model spottet

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice looking Tokai custom & sold too.
Not in the market to purchase but this person http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25272 purchased similar speced Tokai custom & ended up with a maple top custom, when they were told it was all hog.
I wouldn't purchase any newer Tokai; why? Someone, somewhere wasn't being honest with that buyer; could have been the shop, could have been Tokai, who knows?
That sullies the entire reputation of the Tokai brand IMO.
It's pretty F***ed when one persons' bad experience can turn a Tokai fan away from Tokai. And I prolly aint the only one.

guitar hiro said:
I wouldn't purchase any newer Tokai; why? Someone, somewhere wasn't being honest with that buyer; could have been the shop, could have been Tokai, who knows?
It's pretty F***ed when one persons' bad experience can turn a Tokai fan away from Tokai. And I prolly aint the only one.

Really ? This would have to be one of the silliest things I've ever read here {or anywhere for that matter}, bordering on stupid, no really. Someone buys a guitar, without looking at it, from a guitar shop in a country that doesn't speak English, the specs are misrepresented, and I highly doubt on purpose, and somehow how this is Tokai's fault ? I have played that many completely **** Gibson's and in comparison, a lot of wonderful Tokai's, I find your assertion simply ridiculous....

Custom Goldtop said:
guitar hiro said:

Really ? This would have to be one of the silliest things I've ever read here {or anywhere for that matter}, bordering on stupid, no really. Someone buys a guitar, without looking at it, from a guitar shop in a country that doesn't speak English, the specs are misrepresented, and I highly doubt on purpose, and somehow how this is Tokai's fault ? I have played that many completely ^&*( Gibson's and in comparison, a lot of wonderful Tokai's, I find your assertion simply ridiculous....

I have read the entire thread multiple times & have scrutinized every detail mentioned.
I take the OP at his word & I doubt he would make false, and/or misleading statements.
He spent top shelf money to obtain a top shelf example because that is what he desired, not to complain on a forum.
The OP also stated, "Actually the two shop clerks I exchanged mails had a good command of English."
The OP paid for a new, top of the line Tokai, from a retailer that was the entity that originally ordered the product from Tokai.
It looks as if the retailer changed the item (top) description from Mahogany, to Maple, after the buyer contacted the retailer.
Besides the top being Maple, not Mahogany, the instrument has several quality control issues that should not be present on such an expensive, top of the line model.
The buyer contacted Kurosawa & received insufficient replies.
The buyer contacted Tokai & received no reply.
I find that to be curious & not in a good way.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that Tokai supplied Kurosawa a Maple topped guitar instead of a Mahogany topped guitar, when Kurosawa was expecting a Mahogany topped guitar, just as the buyer was expecting a Mahogany topped guitar. That is a real possibility. Is that what actually happened? Who knows. Neither Kurosawa, nor Tokai, attempted to offer any explanation.

The fact remains, both Kurosawa & Tokai failed to properly follow-up on a customer inquiry concerning multiple issues, and for one of Tokai's most expensive LP Custom style guitars. That reflects extremely poorly on both Kurosawa & Tokai. Having this experience leaves both Tokai & Kurosawa open to suspicion by the buyer, and by those that have read about it; at least by those that have an open mind concerning all potential possibilities. Needless to say, there is no denying both Tokai & Kurosawa dropped the ball on this one.

If you view that as "silly" or "stupid" or "ridiculous" then that is your opinion which you are certainly welcome to.

guitar hiro said:
It is not out of the realm of possibility that Tokai supplied Kurosawa a Maple topped guitar instead of a Mahogany topped guitar, when Kurosawa was expecting a Mahogany topped guitar, just as the buyer was expecting a Mahogany topped guitar. That is a real possibility. Is that what actually happened? Who knows. Neither Kurosawa, nor Tokai, attempted to offer any explanation.

Funny stuff, Tokai has NOTHING to answer for what so ever, Japan is also in the middle of a epidemic, maybe they have more important things to attend to at present. Your post is mostly speculation and false assumptions. Kurosawa should answer the OP's questions, and are solely responsible for the sale, and pointing out any faults, or fixing them presale. My comment was based on the ridiculous notion that this was, or has " sullied the entire reputation of the Tokai brand IMO"..... Do you know how many shops commission guitars from Tokai ? Do you know that there are, or were hundreds of Tokai's and prototypes that are entirely made by one luthier out side of Tokai, in his own workshop and sold as specials { I own two of them} ? he also built guitars for other brands such as Bacchus , I imagine there may be others as well, freelance luthiers. If everyone carried on like you have here, Gibson would have gone out of business in the 1970's. This is about 1 or 2 guitars {which is unfortunate}, NOT their entire production. You have never made a mistake ? Again, this is up to the shop that sold/commissioned these guitars to rectify. as a side note I once owned a Gibson SG that had a twisted neck, yep, looking down the neck from the bridge it twisted to the right quite a bit, The even funnier thing was that it played extremely well, I eventually sold it to a muso that toured the USA with it backing the band America on a national tour, really though, that guitar should have never left the factory...
Here's a tip, If you are buying ANYTHING you can't physically touch and inspect, ask lots of questions and get lots of detailed pictures, if they refuse, DON'T buy it....

The fact remains, both Kurosawa & Tokai failed to properly follow-up on a customer inquiry concerning multiple issues, and for one of Tokai's most expensive LP Custom style guitars. That reflects extremely poorly on both Kurosawa & Tokai. Having this experience leaves both Tokai & Kurosawa open to suspicion by the buyer, and by those that have read about it; at least by those that have an open mind concerning all potential possibilities. Needless to say, there is no denying both Tokai & Kurosawa dropped the ball on this one. :D

I, along with others in that thread, can empathize with the buyer; a buyer that was shafted by both Tokai & by Kurosawa.
Too bad you are above that but hey ................. and also, thanks for crapping all over my opinion; not once but twice. :roll:

Latest posts

Back