Hi folks, from Buenos Aires (Argentina), my Tokai HLS160

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fetiracing

Reaction score
Well, I'm brand new in this forum, so I want to say thank you for this nice community. My name is Fernando (but you can call me just "feti"). I'm 34 from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I'm a happy owner of a Tokai HLS160 (2010) that I'll show.

I also would like to ask you guys if this pups are "the fiftynine" set or maybe I'm wrong. These are nice pickups but I found them a bit "trebly". I play this beauty through a Fender Blues Jr III and I use as main drive pedals a DIY Angry charlie (Crunch box with presence control) and a JHS Mini Bomb booster. I previously owned a great Gibson LP Standard 60s neck (2005) that was fitted with Burstbucker pros and I really liked them, I love more the round sound but I don't know what to do, maybe you can help me with that decision. Well, no more talk, this is my lady:

IMG_3795_zpsffqwjqrw.png

IMG_3791_zpsirf0idkn.png

IMG_3782_zpsak6sngxj.png

Very nice 160 Feti. I'm not sure what your pups might be for a 2010 model 160. Is your guitar black or is it a midnight blue ??

Welcome to the forum.

brokentoes said:
Very nice 160 Feti. I'm not sure what your pups might be for a 2010 model 160. Is your guitar black or is it a midnight blue ??

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! It's "Indigo Blue". Since it's a HLS160 it says that the "special" specs for a super shop model includes the fifty nine pups, but I didn't open it to see if this is true...

Hola Fernando, you are welcome!

Congrats on your HLS by Tokai guitar. These Hiki models are very special regarding neck, finish (thinner) and neck pickup position. Also I believe hardware could be by Montreaux.

And yes, your guitar has Fiftynine pickups which are trebly (I had a 59 plus set pn my HLS-360). I have a recording with that guitar somewhere.... It seems old PAF were trebly too.... But these are japanese ear trebly (so different to what we percive as trebly)

Un saludo

Interesting...I've never heard of Fiftynine pickups?

Awesome guitar.
What exact model is this...a flame top LS160...made for which country?

59s are avalaible for HLS Hibiki models only. Not sure who is making those pickups but not Duncans (I have a set). I would bet they are japaese made because tthey have that treble sounding avalaible in japanese pickups (remember japanese hear the sounds slightly different than westerns)

Doesn't everyone hear sound differently from one set of ears to the next or is their something about Japanese ears that separates them from the rest of humanity that i am not aware of ??

Nice tokai!

I have one coming in in a few days from Japan and the wait is killing me...

(Hls 160 lemon drop)

Was also scouring the internet for pickup info lol!

Mine appears to have the regular 59 neck but the bridge has been replaced with a SD JB

Ill post it when it comes in and I give it a spin...enjoy your tokai!

Back