Gold top LS55

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Hard to resist for less than $600. Any idea of the age?

Looks like you bought that from Tak at Katana guitars (mijsixstringkatana tag on eBay). He's a trusted seller and a good guy - it's legit.

If all stock it is a 80s guitar(1984 as tenon inscription says?). Because 1984.85 are years of changes it would be a prototype or any special made guitar hence no serial number, I have a mid 90s high end no serial comfirmed to be legit by the maker.

A very nice guitar Sigmania.

What a ridiculously cheap price for a guitar of that quality.

Glad to help SIgmanias.

Really great pics from Katana guitars (it says good things about his professionality as a seller). If you see to the pickups they are not 57 PAFs so it is OK for A 50 model and they are similiar to the GOTOH ones on my LS50 wich I think stock (have to be cautious because I got them second hand). Also the TRC is 80s I guess it changed slightly in 90s which became a half elipse at the end of that era.

I guess model is called LS-55 instead of LS-50 because being a GT?

Very interesting guitar, main drawnback would be the weight, if you are able to mannaged that i am pretty sure you got a very good player guitar great for gigging.

Here it goes a 1991 sunbusrt modified for checking http://freakguitars.galeon.com/productos2077340.html so yours could be a late 80s, just a speculation.

1995 catalog confirms LS55 being GT finish
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v1807.jpg

The key here for dating if all stock would be TRC shape and pickups alongside with the wiring (that pink wire was not in Reborns for example).

1995 catalog confirms LS55 being GT finish
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v1807.jpg

Looks like a CS?

If you see to the pickups they are not 57 PAFs

Any idea what they might be? They are different from each other?

No pole screws coming thru on the one and none showing on the other?

You can read GT also on it....

It seems the pickups have been "molested", have to check on my GOTOH golden back plate to see any difference in both. If original it would have grey wires as 57 PAFs do.
Also check for any decal evidence, my GOTOH have not any decal but engraved on the back.

It seems the pickups have been "molested"

I can't figure out what might have even happened to that neck pickup. Those screws should go all the way down thru the magnets and into the bottom plate. Looks like they were sawed off or something? :(

The bridge pickup has the gray wire like my 1985 LS80 which also doesn't have a sticker. But this one doesn't have the screw poles extending into the bottom plate. Odd.

Hi guys,

This guitar is an LS-55 due to it's set-neck, not colour and MIJ.
LS-50 was MIK with a bolt-on neck.
I would agree that this guitar is a 1990's build - the S-84 is not a date stamp.
In the 80's there was no LS-55 model.
Beautiful guitar, just needs a set of Seymour Duncans :lol:

regards
Peter Mac

I got the guitar yesterday. The pickups both work, and actually sound really good. I have no idea what they are tho or what someone did to the neck pickup. At least I don't feel I have to switch them out too soon.

Still, there is no serial number. Any way to date this guitar then? Why wouldn't it have a serial number? Was there a sticker at one time with a serial?? Seems really odd.

So the 1995 catalog says these came with "Vintage MK2" pickups.

Does anyone have a pair to sell?

:D

You might already have Vintage MK2 Pickups in your guitar.

I bought a Set of these last year (from a MIJ 1993 LS-??). They look exactly the same.
I think the pickups in my 1990 LS-50 look like that, too. Grey wire bridge, black wire neck.

They measure quite high:

11,5 kOhm Neck
12 kOhm Bridge

Back