Is this a genuine Tokai Goldstar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger001

Reaction score
I'm trying to work out if this is a genuine Tokai from the 1980's

Just looking at the headstock face, colour of the logo and placement of the Oldies but Goodies transfer. They look wrong. Also the truss rod adjustment, I can't find another that look like that. They are either adjusted from the heel or the hole has a piece of darker wood inserted.

At the back, a CE mark in 1987? The CE doesn't look like a China Export label but it could be.

The condition of the guitar looks amazing. The owner says it hasn't been played but even so it seems in remarkable condition. It's also being sold with a Fender Rumble Amp, I don't think they were made in 1987.

I'm trying to get a photo of the back of the guitar and a close up of the neck plate.

All in all I think it may not be genuine. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

mdvineng said:
Chinese version 2016

Thank you very much for your. I'm going to pass on this one, the right one will come along. It's an hour or so's drive to go and have a look at it and a long way if I already have doubts about it.

The owner was asking £400.

Do you know what they are like? I have a Chinese Squier and that's reasonably good. I have some Japanese guitars which are better. I'm not put off a chinese Tokai if it's good but in this case the owner was telling me it was an 80's guitar which didn't seem right. For all I know it could be a copy (of a copy).

There's a shop in Retford (UK) that sells Tokai and he's got a TST-50 at the moment I think. I might go and try it.

Thanks again!

try a search on here, been a few comments on quality etc

my preference would always be MIJ I have 3 of those and one excellent Korean made guitar.

try the TST50 but also see what year it is and where made.

Latest posts

Back