Tokai TA-35 & strats

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
Didn't really know what to title the thread!! For years (many years) I've been a Les Paul and Marshall man, always kept a Strat, just in case I needed one, but never played it much.

Anyway, I've recently aquired a Tokai TA-35 Champ and I'm finding more and more the Les Pauls are getting left on their stands, and the Marshall isn't getting plugged in!! I'm pretty sure it's just a phase I'm going through and I will come to my senses, but I am Loving the sound I hear with such a small amp, and a guitar with no humbuckers and a bolt on neck :roll:

I feel better now I've confessed :D

AHHHHHHHH, Wait till you play that strat through an old Super Reverb with no effects cranked to about 5 or 6!!!!!!!!!! :D

JohnA said:
I've alrady started to look for a nice little Fender combo, thinking about a Ceriatone 5E5!

Vintage or new Fender combo? How many watts?

For the newer combos, if you want a nice 15 watt amp that you can play at home or gig with, you can't go wrong with the tweed Fender Limited Edition Blues Junior. It has an upgraded birch cabinet and Italian made Jensen speaker. Fabulous amp - I've got three of them. Great for small to mid sized gigs and mic it for larger venues. More versatile and much better output than a 60's Princeton Reverb 15 watter (about half the price too)

The Fender Blues DeVille tweed 4 x 10 at 60 watts is basically a Bassman with reverb, master volume and a drive channel. A nice big, good sounding amp.

Vintage? 60's Fender Super Reverb (40 watts with 4 x 10) or for a more portable version, 60's Pro Reverb. Basically the same amp as the Super but with 2 x 12's and a 40 watt output as well. Easier to tote around to gigs. I go to it more than my Super.

If you're in the States, you'll probably pay around $2000 for a 60's blackface Super in good condition and $1500 to $1800 for a 60's blackface Pro.

The Blues Junior comes in around $500 and the Blues DeVille current reissue is around $900 but the original 1990's version is around $1200

Welcome! First 10-52 strings, then Strats, now tweed amps! :lol: :lol: :lol: You'll be moving south of Watford at this rate. :lol:

Next we need to get you a nice Tele - a Strat on the bridge pickup can't compare to the snarl you can get from a Tele.

8)

I was thinking the Ceriatone Pro 5e5 clone built in to a 1x12 combo, I have a Ceriatone Marshall JTM-45 and it's way better that the new Marshall reissues without the expense or potential reliability issues of buying an original.

kmarccoco said:
AHHHHHHHH, Wait till you play that strat through an old Super Reverb with no effects cranked to about 5 or 6!!!!!!!!!! :D

+1 There's nothing like a strat thru a Fender tube amp - they were designed for each other. But more importantly, get what YOU want and what you're happy with. It's your sound. :wink:

stratman323 said:
Welcome! First 10-52 strings, then Strats, now tweed amps! :lol: :lol: :lol: You'll be moving south of Watford at this rate. :lol:

Next we need to get you a nice Tele - a Strat on the bridge pickup can't compare to the snarl you can get from a Tele.

8)

I know, I haven't been myself lately!! been looking at tele's too!! I think keeping an open mind is the key, you should try a Marshall :D As I've said to you before, a JTM-45 is basically a Fender Bassman in a different box, I might try an open backed 1.12 cab with that before I start throwing money at tweed combos!

Hi John,

Gotta confess to playing my strat more now through my little Fender Champion 600. It's been improved by your volume control now as you can see :D
It sounded great anyway but I've upgraded the tubes and it now sounds even better. I might upgade the speaker as well but it's definitely a keeper.

Whilst we're on the subject of confessions I'm also getting a lot of fun from a digitech hendrix pedal :lol:

Even though the pic below shows my PRS it definitely suits a strat better.

Dave

2kLDZaVDwqmJmawSCU03ks3kskXL0003kskXLdnpwmq0a.jpg

The volume control worked then? Great little gizmo for a lo-watt valve amp!

Talking of your PRS, I have the trem arm here :D

Back