Tokai strat pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avoncliff

Reaction score
Hi , Does anyone have details of the pickup stamps . For the grey bobbin alnico's, I have seen "U" "T" and "IIV" stamped pickups. Does anyone know what the differences are ?. Also I have seen Tokai Goldstar strats with the grey bobbin alnicos and others with ceramics. Is there a cut over point ?.

Thanks for your help,

Roy

Hi avoncliff,

I have a little idea . . .

From 1978 - 1984 the grey bobbins were
ST Vintage (E) = 5.7 ohm avg
ST Vintage MkII (U) = 6.2 ohm avg
1983 - 1987
ST Vintage (V) = 5.7 ohm avg
ST Vintage MkII (VII) = 6.2 ohm avg - or even "IIV"
All have wax covered cloth wire of Black (ground) and white (live) and staggered pole pieces. These are for the ST models.
Early ST-42 and ST-45 models has a ceramic magnet pickup but this was stopped by 1980

For the SS models the bobbins were black with Black and Blue wires, levelled pole pieces and were 'H' Hot or 'S' Super. In 1983 these bobbins became grey and the letters were stamped onto the base, similar to the ST series.

In all, the 'E' series are the most sought after. As far as the 'T' model goes, I have not seen them, so they could be from 1990 and later models.

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter. Some really useful info

I think that I may have an answer for the "T" stamps. I bought a set which I still have . They are 8.10K. When I bought them the guy said that they came from his Tokai Talbo, so perhaps the Talbo ones are higher o/p and stamped T.

I also have 2 pickups which have grey bobbins with a bar magnet glued over the pole pieces. These have blue/black wires and measure 5.5K When I bought them the guy said that they were 1983 goldstar ST-40 but that could be incorrect

Cheers, Roy

Hi

Not likely, they are probably from a SIlverStar due to the blue/blk wiring.
1983 was around the time they changed from Black to grey bobbins and with the bar magnet they would have been from an SS-38 or SS-40.
I did have a 1980 ST-45 that had the grey bobbing/ bar magnets but it's wiring was White/Black.

Talbo's are a whole different ball game. I never got into them though.

Peter

Back