Tokai Single Coil Pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Like I said above, I’m not clear on these. I’ve even seen IIV.

Here's a thought: are we certain there actually is such a thing as a "VI" pickup?

I've thought of it before, because looking at pics of pups that have been interpreted as VI, they often look like they could just as easily be VII. Two I's, only close enough together to smudge together to what looks like a thick I if applied sloppily?

As far as I know, the catalog designations are "ST Vintage" and ST Vintage Mk II", right? If so, just V and VII would work fine to tell them apart. Also, it doesn't really make sense to have a third pup type called "Vintage Mk I" if you already have the basic "Vintage" designation in use?

I haven't got access to my pics right now, but I might have something in there.

View attachment 1990
I think you’re exactly right. I went back and changed things and eliminated the VI.

Looks like the individual characters were stamped separately, so some double registers and even occasional reversals. As I said, I have seen IIV stamps.

Thanks for pointing that out!

...As far as I know, the catalog designations are "ST Vintage" and ST Vintage Mk II", right? If so, just V and VII would work fine to tell them apart. Also, it doesn't really make sense to have a third pup type called "Vintage Mk I" if you already have the basic "Vintage" designation in use?...
I think you nailed it!

V = Vintage

VII = Vintage MKII

1984/85 Traditional catalog

IMG_7085.jpeg
IMG_7086.jpeg

Looks like in 1984:

VII on AST/TST50/55
V on AST/TST60
VS-1 DiMarzios on AST/TST80

Not sure how long this lasted?

I have seen VII into 1987 at least.

Last edited:
And the unmarked ceramics on AST40 & TST40 were apparently called MKIII.

1984 Vol. 2 catalog:

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 2.10.51 PM.png
cat_1984tokai_vol2_page05.jpg

I will pull the p/ups out and do some measuring at the weekend.

I have been very confused as to whether it’s a 60 or a 40. It seems to me a bit of a mish mash! It had a factory repaint from met red to black. Very odd all round. certainly not a museum piece.

the guy I got it from used it in the studio. He was given it by a band in lieu of unpaid studio time - he sold it to me in 2009.

I can do some pictures as well

My 1983 TST70 has E pickups, and a script logo, Fender serial numbering system.

I guess the script logo was used outside the UK in 1983??

Anyone know?

Last edited:
And for a post in 2014, looks like Peter Mac was saying the exact same thing.

"The VII pickups were the replacements for the 'U' pickups during 1984 Goldstar models. Both pickups are regarded as Vintage MkII."

Hi guys,

The VII pickups were the replacements for the 'U' pickups during 1984 Goldstar models. Both pickups are regarded as Vintage MkII.

This pickguard is not 100% though. The pots aren't original and the brass ground plate is missing.
Curiously the stamp is back to front - IIV instead of VII - and the colour is different also.
Incedently, the pickguard with the 'U' pickups is original

Peter Mac

Last edited:
"ST Vintage" and ST Vintage MKII" are mentioned as early as the 1982 catalog.

So ST60 were spec'd for U pickups? Sometimes seen with E for sure...

"Vintage" and "Vintage MKII" pickups are mentioned in the 1983 catalog.

Obviously, E and U pickups were used in 1982 and 1983, so..... is this evidence that they are the same pickups???

That maybe they adopted these names, "Vintage" and "Vintage MKII", and so relabeled the pickups V and VII at a later point?

So the question is when?

Definitely by 1985.

Anyone see any verified form 1984?

Last edited:
Another example of what are likely VII or MKII pickups that are incorrectly stamped as IIV.

The V and II are not in a line, so are applied separately.

March 1987 pot dates. 73

Goldstar 84 Identity Help?

Note that these often look like VI as well due to a sloppy stamp as Voidoid56 mentioned.

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 5.02.36 PM.png
f4628c6a.jpg

Attachments

• fa42a2b5.jpg
    fa42a2b5.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • e994e31a.jpg
    e994e31a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
  • b3699d3d.jpg
    b3699d3d.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 37b02d7e.jpg
    37b02d7e.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Now if Peter Mac is right in his asserion that the = sign was gone by 1985, then these pickups in this description would have to be as early as 1984.

Hi Everyone -

I'm hoping one of you can help us here at Folkway Music.

We have a left handed TST (or TST55L) in stock that we are unable to date. It has prospec saddles, deluxe-stamped tuning machines, Fender-shaped headstock, 7.25" rosewood curved board, L22817 serial number, greybottom pickups ink-stamped VII, Goldstar Sound logo and "Oldies but Goldies" decal. The body is black finished alder. 4=8BB stamp on body and 4=8 neck stamp. It has a shallow C neck profile, and lug-neck bolts.
I think that about covers it.

Any thoughts??
Thanks,
Mark

The original pickups are VII (Vintage II), they sound fantastic!!
Strat tone and Stevie Ray galore! I think their better than the one's in the Silver Stars market U or H. Those sound good on low volumes, but they can't handle lots of overdrive. So if you're not afraid of the hum from single coils try to get them!

I think model year 1984 is when the pickups changed.

I say that because in that year there is no straight across changeover of E to V and U to VII because in 1984 VS-1 were used in TST80, not E pickups.

What many people seem to think are the substitutes for E pickups, Vintage or V pickups, were used in TST60 in 1984... Not TST80.

In 1984,

TST50 had VII
TST60 had V
TST80 had DiMarzio VS-1

So there is another tier in there whereas before ST60 had U and E pickups.

It is therefore likely that this is when the change happened.

My two cents.

1984/85 catalog

IMG_0932.jpeg
IMG_0933.jpeg

Last edited:
1983 catalog.

VintAxe scans.]

Google translation:

TST50-GS / 1958 MODEL/¥50,000
Maple 1-piece shaved neck and waist body that symbolize '58 TST. The golden sunburst 2-piece body
and the newly developed ST Vintin MKII pickup reproduce a rich, withered traditional sound. The history of the TST series It is a model of expectation that can be repainted.

TST60-BB/1954 MODEL / ¥60,000
Maple 1-piece V-shaped neck. New spec TST60 The high-grade and tricky sound produced by the newly developed big-up ST vintage is attractive. Vintage model with excellent tonal balance and expressiveness.

TST80-GS 1954 MODEL / ¥80,000
Reviving sound. DiMarzio's expected new pickup VS1 demonstrates tremendous power and exceeds the original. Contents that can be said to be a Tor replica final spec, including materials, hardware, and detailed parts. It is a model worthy of being called Old Replica King.

TST70-Y5/1961 RARE MODEL / *70,000
"One of kind" The TST70, which makes an excellent old mania as a guitar, a slightly manufactured "maple fingerboard neck" model in the mid-'60s, original with high-grade hardware. Appeared with the same pickup assembly as the material mounted.

TST50-OWR /1964 MODEL / *50,000
The TST50 has become a hot topic as a top middle-class guitar model. A high-cost performance model that promises stable play with a dynamic earthing sound and smooth halftones. Shining coloring, old-fashioned sound with a distinctly withered taste, a fashionable guitar that unfolds splendid and exciting stages, delicate craft work, total balance, a high-grade guitar for individual rock'n'rollers

TST80- YR/1960 MODEL /¥80,000
High-quality model TST80 that collects "GOOD OLD TIMES, 2 GOOD OLD SOUND" Perfect reproduction of hardware, parts, finish, and serial number. The old and sensitive sound is exactly the truth of rock. Please realize the tasteful unique nuance.

TST100-ET / SUPER EDITION LIMITED MODEL ¥100,000
Emotional sound machine finally appeared. A popular guitar with Tokai's original tremolo unit. Thrilling and attacking, perfect tuning that supports powerful and exciting sound, and the ever-changing tonal color herald the arrival of New Sound Vibration.

cat_1983tokai_full_010.jpg
cat_1983tokai_full_011.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 4.26.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 4.26.19 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7843.jpeg
    IMG_7843.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi avoncliff,

I have a little idea . . .

From 1978 - 1984 the grey bobbins were
ST Vintage (E) = 5.7 ohm avg
ST Vintage MkII (U) = 6.2 ohm avg
1983 - 1987
ST Vintage (V) = 5.7 ohm avg
ST Vintage MkII (VII) = 6.2 ohm avg - or even "IIV"
All have wax covered cloth wire of Black (ground) and white (live) and staggered pole pieces. These are for the ST models.
Early ST-42 and ST-45 models has a ceramic magnet pickup but this was stopped by 1980

For the SS models the bobbins were black with Black and Blue wires, levelled pole pieces and were 'H' Hot or 'S' Super. In 1983 these bobbins became grey and the letters were stamped onto the base, similar to the ST series.

In all, the 'E' series are the most sought after. As far as the 'T' model goes, I have not seen them, so they could be from 1990 and later models.

Peter

Latest posts

Back