Tokai LS110F/L questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftyplayer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and a relatively new owner of a Tokai Love Rock LS110F/L. I am glad I found this forum, as I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer.

Having never owned a Tokai before (or having heard of them - I checked out my Tokai after seeing it advertised on a local music shop's website as part of their moving sale and noticed it stated left-hand, which is always worth checking out due to the scarcity of them here in stock), I am curious as to what the various model numbers mean, as many manufacturers use names rather than numbers to distinguish between models. What does it mean for my Tokai to be part of the 'Vintage Series' when it was made in 2011? Is the LS-110F/L considered a high end model? I know that it is made in Japan, which is one of the primary reasons I considered it due to the high finish & fit quality. I know that this is probably a stupid question to ask Tokai owners on a Tokai forum, but how do you guys see the Love Rock models in comparison with the much more expensive (& not necessarily better built or quality IMHO) Gibson Les Pauls? I have wanted a Les Paul for ages, but could never justify the price. I am very, very happy with my Tokai 'Les Paul' that I got for less than half the price of a Gibson LP!

Welcome and congrats on your Tokai. Two years ago it started somewhat the same for me, now I have three Tokais. :D

Vintage series are entry and intermediate level MIJ.
Premium series are high end MIJ.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on buying a Tokai.

Checkout my website for more info on Tokais, and also check the video reviews section on my site.

I've never seen a Gibson with a better build quality than a Tokai...I find flaws in every Gibson I pick up, even their Custom Shop models.

Your guitar is basically an LS98F.
A lefty costs about 10% more than a regular right handed model, that's why yours is called an LS110...it stands for 110,000 JYen.

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I'm still somewhat confused about the letter/numerical designation of Tokai Love Rocks. It seems that there are a multitude of Les Paul style Tokai's but with different codes, numbers etc. However, looking at the specs. there seems to be very little or no difference between some except the model number and price. If my LS-110 F/L is marketed as a vintage model, what exactly about it makes it such? Also, it seems odd that a model listed as vintage would be considered as beginner or intermediate, as per felixcatus' post. I tend to try to relate Tokai LR models to the Gibson equivalent, but I just can't see the distinctions between the Tokai models (other than the codes and price) that does exist between the various Gibson LP models (e.g. I can see how a standard is different from a custom etc.). Just what exactly is it I own (e.g. what would it be equivalent to and does the higher the number (e.g. 110) in the Tokai range indicate a better guitar? Thanks in advance for any responses. This is a great forum.

leftyplayer said:
Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I'm still somewhat confused about the letter/numerical designation of Tokai Love Rocks. It seems that there are a multitude of Les Paul style Tokai's but with different codes, numbers etc. However, looking at the specs. there seems to be very little or no difference between some except the model number and price. If my LS-110 F/L is marketed as a vintage model, what exactly about it makes it such? Also, it seems odd that a model listed as vintage would be considered as beginner or intermediate, as per felixcatus' post. I tend to try to relate Tokai LR models to the Gibson equivalent, but I just can't see the distinctions between the Tokai models (other than the codes and price) that does exist between the various Gibson LP models (e.g. I can see how a standard is different from a custom etc.). Just what exactly is it I own (e.g. what would it be equivalent to and does the higher the number (e.g. 110) in the Tokai range indicate a better guitar? Thanks in advance for any responses. This is a great forum.

All Vintage Series instruments are good. There are only instruments that have additional options, such as brass saddles.
All of them have 2pc maple top with flamed maple veneer (except plain top models LS75, LS80, LS92 and now - LS95). Your guitar is basically an LS100F (formerly LS98F /LS85F). Actually this is Gibson's standard clone, you can call it a 59 Reissue.
Tokai Vintage series Les Paul Custom model is LC-107 (formerly LC98).

Let's put it this way...

I have the best pro session guitarists in my country playing Vintage Series LS92 and LS98 Tokais, and guitarists in their bedrooms playing Premium Series LS160 Tokais.
The guitarists who play Vintage Series Tokais also own USA PRS guitars, Tom Andersons, Suhr's, Tylers, etc.

IMO, there's no such thing as a made in Japan "entry level" Tokai.
If you insist on using the words entry level, then use them for a made in China LS48...that's an entry level guitar.

leftyplayer said:

Diamond said:
Let's put it this way...

I have the best pro session guitarists in my country playing Vintage Series LS92 and LS98 Tokais, and guitarists in their bedrooms playing Premium Series LS160 Tokais.
The guitarists who play Vintage Series Tokais also own USA PRS guitars, Tom Andersons, Suhr's, Tylers, etc.

If you insist on using the words entry level, then use them for a made in China LS48...that's an entry level guitar.

funkilius said:
Agree with Diamond......

Jap Tokai's are definitely NOT entry level.

8) 8) 8) 8)

OK, wrong choice of words, my mistake, I apologize. :oops:

IMD, ?MIJ? was right behind the ?entry/intermediate level? comment. I was trying to indicate the "lower numbered MIJ models?, not saying it?s a beginners guitar.

PS English is not my native language and I often have the impression that I?m not conveying the message the way I want. So I hope I got it right this time.

felixcatus said:
leftyplayer said:

Diamond said:
Let's put it this way...

funkilius said:
Agree with Diamond......

Jap Tokai's are definitely NOT entry level.

8) 8) 8) 8)

OK, wrong choice of words, my mistake, I apologize. :oops:

IMD, ?MIJ? was right behind the ?entry/intermediate level? comment. I was trying to indicate the "lower numbered MIJ models?, not saying it?s a beginners guitar.

PS English is not my native language and I often have the impression that I?m not conveying the message the way I want. So I hope I got it right this time.

No need to apologise. :D

stratlt said:
All Vintage Series instruments are good. There are only instruments that have additional options, such as brass saddles.
All of them have 2pc maple top with flamed maple veneer (except plain top models LS75, LS80, LS92 and now - LS95). Your guitar is basically an LS100F (formerly LS98F /LS85F). Actually this is Gibson's standard clone, you can call it a 59 Reissue.

There is no 59 reissue that would ever have a veneer top and the neck angles are steeper with no long tenon and no nitro finish. Sorry they are nowhere near a 59 reissue spec wise.

The only recent Tokais I've heard of that have the vintage type neck angle are the special order HLS versions.

The Vintage Series are a bloody good LP copy, but to do a 59 costs a lot of $$ and you wont get it for entry level MIJ prices.

JVsearch said:
stratlt said:

There is no 59 reissue that would ever have a veneer top and the neck angles are steeper with no long tenon and no nitro finish. Sorry they are nowhere near a 59 reissue spec wise.

The only recent Tokais I've heard of that have the vintage type neck angle are the special order HLS versions.

The Vintage Series are a bloody good LP copy, but to do a 59 costs a lot of $$ and you wont get it for entry level MIJ prices.

Actually I said " you can call it a 59 Reissue", not "this is a 59 Reissue"
This is a big difference. So my words were misinterpret.
Of course that I know original burst specifications.. I just wanted to say that with a flamed top LS-110F/L visually similar to 59 reissue.. I'm wrong?

stratlt said:

Yeah I guess, you can call it a 59 reissue if you want to pretend to yourself.

Sorry mate, there was no talk of "visually similar" in your original post.

JVsearch said:
stratlt said:

Yeah I guess, you can call it a 59 reissue if you want to pretend to yourself.

Sorry mate, there was no talk of "visually similar" in your original post.

I thought it goes without saying.
O'kay, maybe I'm wrong - nobody's perfect :)

Back