Tokai Limited Edition Stratocaster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackgold2k

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,can anybody help me identify this guitar.It is a Black Stratocaster,with a Humbucker pick up at the bridge and two single coil pick ups.(HSS) On the headstock it says ,Tokai Limited Edition.since 1947 is also on the headstock.The guitar has a all black body with black pick guard and pick ups,it has a Rosewood neck,and silver tuning pegs.it has a 5 way selector switch,and two tone and one volume knob.E-mail me at [email protected] for pictures,i paid just over ?100 for it from a Pawn shop.. :roll: Thank you..ps,the serial number on the neck plate is 118553

Well you can't go too far wrong for ?100! You'll get much better responses if you post pics here, or a link to pics. Use www.photobucket.com to load some pics and then post the link here. Then you should get some replies.

Mike

and another one,click on image to enlarge,i hope someone can shed some light on the history of this guitar,thank you..

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

dude...i'm a newbie here and surfed the net to browse any info of my tokai. it's almost same as your's. Just gt it for a couple of days and asked my friend to make a very good setup for the tokai and you know what... it realllly sings man!!! anyway, my tokai is the same colour as yours and has the `since 1947 and limited edition logo but has a 3way switch and 2 humbuckers which have a very nice sound but are quite microphonic when you play with distorted tones. i opened the pickuguard and found that it has 3 humbucker pickup routes which is a good option if you wnat to upgrade(but not a preference for vintage spec lovers). My friend also told me that the body is alder, the neck is ....hmmm...not really sure about it but most probaly a 1 piece maple, and the fretboard is defitely a rosewood. I've search here and there but coudln't find any info about it....it doesn't even exists in the ebay or any other sites. anyway if you have any info later plz tell me dude.

I've own a couple of 1980's strat MADE IN JAPAN and this one is the most best that i have ever had and the cheapest that anybody can buy. Just needs a good setup, upgrades in the hardware and pickups, replacement of the nut and fret wires, change the electronics and it will become an ultimate guitar. it's even better than some of my friend's MADE IN USA fenders acoustically even without the upgrades. Imagine what it can do with them......yeaaaaahh!!!!!

Hi Bro,can you post some pictures of your guitar.iwould keep the guitar in original condition if i was you,i think my guitar dates back to the mid 1980's..

Ive noticed that the Brigde and Tuning pegs on Silverstar Stratocasters are the same as the ones fitted to my guitar? Silverstar strats date from the early 80's.Anybody out there got any input on this

?

Based on the photos: the serial number, headstock, and the humbuckers, I would estimate that your Limited Edition is either a late 1986 model or an early 1987.

Disregard any postings that have called the Limited Edition model Tokai Strats "budget" models. Almost all Limited Edition, along with Super Edition and Strong Edition, were Tokai transition models. Tokai trying out new or different things according to market demand. They were usually made for only about a year and then discontinued.

The Limited Edition for 1986/87 was sometimes referred to as an ST101. Japanese marketing people during the 70s and 80s liked to label their guitar models with the list price as valued in Yen. 101 representing 101,000 Yen. Pretty reasonable compared to US Dollars. Japanese deliberately unvalued their currency and still do so.

The 1986 Limited Edition was considered a Super Strat or Fat Strat in response to Metal guitarists who toured Japan and fell for the Tokai Strat but demanded beefy humbuckers, or a combination of humbucker with single coils to have more tone on hand. Like having a Les Paul PAF built into a Stratocaster.

Humbuckers had been used off and on for earlier model Tokai Strats but as expected most of the players that came before the Metal crowd coveted the single coil pups for that authentic Fender sound.

Also the jack socket was moved from the top to the side for the more active wammy bar Metal players (cable to the top mounted jack socket could sometimes get in the way). Previous generations of Tokai buyers were more traditional in wanting exact Strat copies, with top mounted jack sockets, and of course with all the Japanese quality they had come to love.

Whatever you do, don't perform any serious mods to a Limited Edition. They are currently undervalued, but will definitely grow in appreciation with time.

Hope this info helps you out.

nazeemshah82,
I've got a blue, double humbucker Limited Edition, serial number 118324.
She's got great tone- sounds like a high-end Fender single coil strat with noiseless pickups.
I wouldn't sell it for anything!
I paid the equivalent of 300 U.S. a couple of months ago. Don't let go of yours.
Go to this link to see pics:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11610&highlight=

I'm a big fan of these guitars, def under-appreciated, undervalued.
While a ?350 Goldstar maybe seen as a great value strat,these limited's are in my experience BETTER value for most players.

I have had several great players play a variety of my tokai's and honestly even the limited's with single-coils have stood up to the high end "E", "U" pups on my Springysounds.

I managed to buy one of the Tokai star guitars from Yahoo Japan last year and it is an absolute screamer, all for ?85 delivered. Watching it being played by one of the northwest best iron maiden bands was amazing.

I have noticed that some limited, custom, super editions have poor fretting, poor fitting, poor cutting.

Just be aware and question any seller.

In reference to the wood used for Limited Edition models:

Typically, as with most guitars in the Tokai range, Japanese made Limited Edition models used primarily Alder for the body and Maple for the neck or an Ash body with Maple neck was another combination. Basswood bodies were used in the earlier days of Tokai before they dedicated themselves to a higher set of production values.

Korean made Tokai models could vary wildly from Alder and various Ash woods to Eastern Mahogany and Basswood. Keep in mind however that "Korean Made" does not imply inferior quality. Tokai used Korean production only in an attempt to remain competitive, similar to what Epiphone is to Gibson and Squire is to Fender.

Any so called poor workmanship is more likely evidence of abuse and lack of maintenance from the previous owner(s) over the years than lower standards applied to the Limited, Super and Strong model range.

I own several Limited Editions, a pair of Strong Editions, and 1 Super Edition all in outstanding form. If anything remain cautious of fraud and counterfeit copies, now more widespread due to Tokai's popularity, when shopping.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree, the Limited Edition is quite often overlooked as a fine guitar in the Tokai family.

ShredHed said:
Basswood bodies were used in the earlier days of Tokai before they dedicated themselves to a higher set of production values.

Which years are you referring to here?

Mike

Latest posts

Back