Tokai 38 special gun series

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcfad

Reaction score
I just picked up a 38 special, it's in pretty good condition if a little grubby and in chrome red i believe.

The serial number is 2024162,i reckon from what little information i can gleen it dates from late 70's to early 80's. I should get time to strip it down to give it a clean and get some pics of it tomorrow.

Finding information on them is proving difficult, any info would be great. Here is an image of one the exact same from the net.

38843.jpg

Ok managed to get some pics while stripping this down, it's my first time doing this so apologies if anything goes awry !

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

I will update with bits and pieces i have picked up from the web, general feedback is very good. I had a play around with it before stripping and i am impressed,plays very well, great neck . A little crackly but i will get that sorted out.

Any info on the parts used etc. would help me to build an overall picture of this guitar.

Thanks

Hi there, I can't tell you much I'm afraid but welcome to the forum anyway.

Those pickups stamped H just stands for HOT. I suppose that is in keeping with the rest of the instrument. Nice guitar you have and I should imagine that is fairly rare. It's definitely 80's.

Thanks for posting the pics, surely someone else has some more skinny on these Special 38's. After all, they are a Tokai original and not another clone of a famous American guitar 8)

I read somewhere that an H stamp on the pickups was not conclusive as being for Hot.It really is a bit of a minefield trying to piece together any info on this.

Hopefully someone can tell more about this guitar and the parts used, i must say it is really well built for what seems to be a budget guitar !

It definitely seems to be quite a rare model, that was only available in Europe, and a bit shunned because it was an original design as opposed to being a direct copy.

Thanks for the welcome and reply mirrorboy :)

Here is a link to some reviews on Harmony central

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/86670

I think the MRH on the base of the neck is metallic red and the H is Headstock painted. i think we saw this on one or two of the guitars in my Tokai photobook.

Ahh , that would make sense ! cheers ,now were getting somewhere !

Any idea what the numbers before the MRH signifies ? I would really like to try and put a date to this guitar if possible.

Hopefully i will get it cleaned ,serviced and rebuilt for the weekend, going to start polishing the brightwork and oiling the fret board tonight :D

I can't add too much - but I had one of these from new back in 1984. Mine was blonde and the grain visible through it. I think in terms of budget I paid about ?150 - which was upper end budget guitar price at the time iirc squires were pitching in at around ?200.

Very good guitar as I recall - it's only failing was not being a springy or a breezy.

They are pretty rare these days and a great find

Latest posts

Back