The Color Palette Of Vintage Tokais

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1980 Electric Guitar catalog

Colors:
OW Olvmoic White •
BB Black •
YS Yellow Sunburst •
N Natural •
GS Golden Sunburst •
BL Blonde •
CS Cherr Sunburst •
OS Old Cherrv Sunburst •
BS Brown Sunburst •
GT Gold Too •
WR Wine Red

OWR, BBR, YSR, NR, GSR, and BLR all have rosewood fingerboards.
Special hard cases for ST. SS. LS. LC. and PB are sold separately.

ZYRhEwW.png

mmDS88K.jpg

nzzuY2n.jpg

1979 ST Foldout Catalog

•ST-42 Features maple one-piece neck. As well as the body, the extract of the sen veneer 54 strat is perfectly included, so it is excellent at cost performance. Is it a little 7 difficult for you who have an electric guitar at the beginning? Practice hard and become a guitar player. The neck shape is U, the colors are YS, OW, and BB, and the price
is ¥42,000.

•ST-50 Equipped with revolutionary Tokai Crewson type pegs. Stand out from your friends with the perfect crochet head. Of course, there is also a rosewood
fingerboard (R). Especially the olympic white rose fingerboard is beautiful. Neck shape is U, color is YS, OW, BB, price is ¥50,000 N is ¥55,000.

•ST-60 A newly developed A-type pickup is mounted. The sharp and attacking sound produced by the same coil material as the 54 Strat
was rarely heard in domestic copies. Neck shape is U, color is YS, OW, BB, GS, price is ¥60,000 N is ¥65,000.

• ST-80 This is the definitive version of the ST series. A guitar player said, "I climbed over the fender." he said. I want you to actually touch the ability at the music shop and play
it to confirm it. The neck shape is the V of the 54 Strat, with a lacquer finish. The colors are GS and BL, and the price is ¥80,000. N is ¥85,000,

• ST-100 Further upgraded ST-80. All hardware is gold-plated, a rare item collection. The body is a Sen-one piece that has been carefully
selected. The maple neck has a "tramog" (horizontal stripes like a tiger's stripes). Colors are BL, GS, N, price is ¥ 100,000.

Color OW Olympic White BB Black YS Yellow Sunburst GS Golden Sunburst BL Blonde N Natural

f7E9MMW.jpg

R0BMAly.png

1979 LC & LS yellow foldout catalog.

CS Cherry Sunburst
BS Brown Sunburst
GT gold top
OS Old Cherry Sunburst
WR Wine Red
BB Black

Vr54BCu.jpg

S6Pu9Ek.png

1978 catalog (Vol. 1)

Colors shown:

Flat tops:

GS Golden sunburst
N Natural
BL Blonde
OW Olympic White
YS Yellow sunburst
BB Black

Arch tops:

OS Old cherry sunburst
BS Brown sunburst
WR Wine Red

Low res image.

0t9qA04.jpg

MTLjxlL.jpg

1987/88 "When You're Ready" catalog

Traditional Series Finish Codes:

YSO = YELLOW SUNBURST OLD
OW = OFF WHITE
BB = MIDNIGHT BLACK
BL = BLOND
GS = 2 COL. ANTIQUE SUNBURST
MR = METALLIC RED
WR = WINE RED
SW = SNOW WHITE
CS = CHERRY SUNBURST
VF= VINTAGE FLAME MAPLE
VC= VINTAGE CHERRY SUNBURST
GT= GOLD TOP

1Czvo7O.jpg

We are still left with the pesky fact that settebello’s guitar, nor the TST '56, are flamed maple.

Maybe the same code used two different ways as you had suggested?

Case in point:

VF has obviously been used for two different finishes.

Arch Top Catalog.(Vol. 4)

"VF (Violin Finish)"

VzHQjo7.jpg

1987/88 "When You're Ready" catalog

"VF= VINTAGE FLAME MAPLE"

1Czvo7O.jpg

Can either one of you post a picture showing the actual color code?

Sigmania said:
Can either one of you post a picture showing the actual color code?

I haven't a picture of it but I'm planning to put back the original bridge shortly and will remove the neck for the first time at that point. I'm not in the habit of removing necks unless it's really required. There are no codes seen in the body cavities except black screen paint.

Neck pickup looks like AX at the end
D640372.jpg

Bridge pickup looks like 7=8 OF AZ
D640373.jpg

pencil mark in neck pocket
D640374.jpg

neck and another pencil mark plus the 7=8A
D640375.jpg

Wow. There was another color in the neck pickup compartment that was marked out. Like OS?

Possibly 7=8 OS AX

They might have been planning orange sunburst but changed direction. I had to remove the brass ground plates beneath the pickups to find those marks.
Original bridge back on, re strung and settling down until tomorrow for setup finish.

mdvineng said:
Neck pickup looks like AX at the end
D640372.jpg

Bridge pickup looks like 7=8 OF AZ
D640373.jpg

Interesting not only that the color changed, but also that "X" changed to a "Z".

Wonder what that might tell us about what that letter means?

See page 4

https://vintagejapanguitars.com/tokai-1983-pricelist/

OF is Orange tone see through 8)

Metallic Pink Goldstar... RARE.... 8)

stratman323 said:
....I recently bought a Metallic Pink Goldstar which has unstamped saddles, & there was some discussion about whether the saddles had been changed, or whether Tokai started using unstamped saddles in (perhaps) the late 80s/early 90s. I don't think we ever reached a definite conclusion about mine.

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

The pickups had been changed on mine so it's hard to say if the switch had been changed as well. But the body on mine had the sort of routs that we usually see from Tokai, & it also had the usual Tokai codes stamped in the control cavity.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16950

1984 Vol. 9

•Color:

BB- Black
SW- Snow White
CR- Candy Red
PR- Paisley Red
AB- All Paint Black
ASW- All Paint Snow White
AMR- All Paint Metallic Red
ACR- All Paint Candy Apple Red
ABBS- All Paint Blue-black sunburst

Rose neck if the color is followed by an R.
If H Is attached, It indicates a head paint neck.

•For detailed specitications of TLS50VC/TLS100.150.200HS/ TLC60,1000W and other Tokai regular
models, please read "The Tokai World".

•Please note that all models except for specific models may be out of stock due to limited production.

5233-ba1b6c070d2d594476feb34bff380fe3.png5234-84fb099846b07730b6630361b0f252a6.jpg

Latest posts

Back