The Color Palette Of Vintage Tokais

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll see if I can find it in a catalog where it says what the color is. I know I have seen color codes spelled out in a catalog in that period, but I don’t remember the OF and VF. They are obviously unusual. I’ll try to look again.

No explanation of the colors OF and VF where they occur in the 1982 catalog.

J5nYlbk.jpg

BPgTAr3.jpg

Sorry didn't mean an explanation, just that it's in the cat. I didn't sleep to well last night, forgive an old git! :oops:

I still don't see the OF being a fade though, for the Strat. The only variance in colour, is due to the wood alone. Happy to be enlightened.

Maybe it's time that I put the original bridge back on the Vsb and take the neck off for a look see!

It's all part of the mystery of these guitars in my opinion.

I can certainly see where you made that assumption, yours is flamed and the violin version is too. Makes sense.

Settebello's is not flamed though the spalted grain does have a super cool effect like a fire.

Both of your guitars are not normal production guitars I am assuming, so it very likely the "FO" code means different things in the two periods.

Settebello, is your guitar stamped with the OF color code or was that in a catalog?

I just spent an hour searching for other vsb80's and mostly found mine apart from the odd 60 or VF colour :lol:

Or this but picture true colour is way off being correct.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125455047814?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fTsaZabSSuS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=pSQHxvBXRdC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

:lol: :lol:

I asked Peter about VSB's a few years ago but he hadn't any info, hope he does about early colour references though.

Could it be as simple as OF means “Orange Finish” in the same way that VF traditionally means “ Violin Finish”?

I think that is the wine red. WR.

Hard to tell but no F for flame or Fade. As usual Tokai gets more enigmatic :D

Latest posts

Back