Springy ST60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I bought a Springy ST60 back in October. This lengthy thread lists what happened, and why I thought I was buying an ST80:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9379

The thread is now closed, and I don't intend to go into details of the sale again. The bottom line is that I got a nice Springy, even if I paid over the odds at nearly ?750. A couple of people have asked me (in PMs) what it's like, so I thought I'd post details on here for anyone else who is interested to see as well.

128_2868.jpg

128_2873.jpg

128_2880.jpg

5_big.jpg

The rest of the pics are here:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20ST60%20Springy%20SB/

I am told that it is a 1980 model; the serial number is 0014539. There was originally some suggestion that it might be an ST80, or possibly an ST60 neck on an ST80 body. However, I believe that ST80s have a V shape neck (something that Fender only produced in the 50s on maple board Strats, not in the 60s after rosewood boards were intoduced). Mine has an unusually slim neck, quite similar to my 1986 Fender US62RI. This is great news for me as it's hard to get necks as slim as this.

The finish feels like poly to me, not nitro as on the 80s and above. However, it's a thin poly (much thinner than the finish on my 2 1984 Goldstars), and it doesn't seem to box the sound in like thicker poly does, so I'm fairly happy with it. There's also no sign of the lacquer on the body crazing, which sometimes happens with nitro after nearly 30 years, so I'm assuming it's all poly.

When it arrived, the action was so low as to make it unplayable. After restringing (10-52) it and raising the action, it sounded and played much better, but I still needed to get the frets stoned to get it playing really well. Money well spent I think.

The pickups are the "E" stamped Dimarzios that so many people rave about. They read 5.47, 5.61 & 5.61k, which is a bit lower than my Goldstar pickups, Fender re-issues, Seymour Duncan vintage pickups etc. But output alone is only part of the story, they do have a good "vintage" sort of tone. However, compared to my US Fenders, which are quite dark and more solid sounding, the Springy's sound is lighter, almost like a maple board Strat.

I reckon this is down to 2 main factors - first the body is ash (2 piece I think, not that this makes much difference), wheras Fender used alder for Sunburst Strats after about 1957. Ash tends to give a brighter sound than alder. Also, the rosewood board is a thin cap, as used by Fender from about 1964 onwards, whereas my Fenders have the earlier slab boards. The experts reckon that cap boards tend to sound brighter than slab boards.

It's hard to put my finger on why it's a better guitar than my 84 Goldstar, but it has more of a quality feel about it, and an openness to the sound too. The spaghetti decal is cleverer than I originally thought - when it's on a stand next to a Strat with the Fender spaghetti decal, it's hard to tell the decals apart from a few feet away unless you look carefully. No wonder Fender were provoked into action. :lol:

There is one strange detail that Tokai got wrong, even though they claimed that the Springy is "THE EXACT REPLICA OF THE GOOD OLD STRAT" - the dot markers on the side of the neck are black, not white. Now I know that this doesn't matter, in fact it's almost an improvement as they are a little easier to see than the white dots that Fender use, and that Tokai had started using by the time the Goldstars were introduced.

I have a theory about this. I reckon that Tokai set out to copy a 50s Strat in 1978, and used features that only 50s Strats had - ash bodies, black dot markers, single ply scratchplates (till 79), V profile necks etc. It looks as though the 60s copies with a rosewood board were an afterthought - the 78 and 79 models even had the truss rod inserted from the rear of the neck, complete with skunk stripe, though they had corrected this "error" by 1980. By the time they made the Goldstars in 83/4, they were using different necks on the maple and rosewood board guitars - the maple necks are chunkier than the rosewood board necks.

All in all, it's a very interesting guitar, especially when you consider that Fender were still producing quite poor guitars up till 82 when they introduced the US 57 & 62 re-issues, which were generally considered to be their best Strats since about 66 or 67. Clearly they wouldn't have felt the need to introduce these guitars if it hadn't been for the pressure that Tokai had put on them by making better Strats than they were making themselves. So I think that any lover of good Strats should try a Springy. The only thing that might make me sell this would be if I got an ST80 or 100 that I preferred, though I'm not sure if the V neck will suit me. We'll see when I get round to trying one.

Sorry that this post is so long, but I've tried to give an impression of what a Springy is like to anyone who hasn't tried one, and is curious about why they tend to sell for so much more than a Goldstar. I know this is what I wondered when I first joined the forum, so I hope it's of some help to a few members.

I would welcome comments about the guitar, especially from anyone else who owns an ST60 - do they all have such slim necks?

Mike

Looks like a nice guitar! As you say it's difficult to put a finger on why it's better than a lower-end model, I have had a few ST50's in my time and one ST60, the '60 felt and sounded a lot better, but to look at there wasn't a lot in it.

My 60 had what I would consider a medium size neck, not fat like my JV but not 'modern fender' slim.

stratman323 said:
That was a maple board wasn't it? The black one you recently sold?

Thats the one! Never had a R/W board ST60, my ST80 has a 'V' profile, as you say not historically correct, but I find it really comfortable to play.

Well I guess that proves that the neck profiles on the maple and rosewood Springys were different.

Very nice but considering the current exchange rate of the US dollar to the Pound sterling, I'b be hard pressed to pay $1500 for an ST60.

But the point in saying that is that if you are happy with the guitar and can live with what you paid for it without suffering too much buyer's remorse, then enjoy it in good health. It really is a lovely guitar.

Nope, it's not a steel block. Yeah I know it was expensive - I was conned by eBay seller and former forum member dongrosh, as the old thread reveals. But I can either cry about it, or I can get on with my life and enjoy what I bought, even if it was expensive. I've decided to do the latter. Anyway, most of the guitars I've bought recently have been bargains, so that helps to offset this one that wasn't.

I was trying not to concentrate on the cost, but to give people who have never tried a Springy an idea of how it compares with other Strats.

Mike,

Thanks for that great review ... :lol: :lol:

It's a beautiful looking guitar ... I doubt if there are noticeable differences between ST60 and ST80 soundwise ...

... although I would have expected a 2tone sunburst finish on an ST80 ... am I wrong ???

Roger

Roger

You are absolutely right, there is no difference (that I can hear) is the quality of sound on a ST60 & a ST80, I think the only difference is the finish and the V neck. I'm still not convinved that my ST80 has a nitro finish on the neck.

Thanks Roger. Tokai usually seem to copy old Fender practice with Sunburst - 2 tone for maple neck guitars (up to 1959), 3 tone for rosewood board guitars (after 1959). So as a (roughly) 1964 Strat copy, it's correct for the period it's copying. As usual, Breezys seem to be the exception to this.

Thanks, John ... you've saved my belief in common sense ... 8) 8)
The only differences I'd expect are those caused by the used woods on bodies and necks ... bright or darker sounding ...

Mike,

now I know why I couldn't spot a 2tone ST80 with RW fretboard which I'd prefer ... although Marcus (-nieman) has got one ...

Roger

Has he? I though I saw Marcus on his (very cool) website playing a 3 tone SB Strat?

My ST80 is 2TSB with a R/W board. I'm not really keen on 3TSB but at least it's 60's Fender correct.

click for full size

stratman323 said:
Has he? I though I saw Marcus on his (very cool) website playing a 3 tone SB Strat?

Mike, take a look ...

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8004&highlight=st80

Oh John ... what a beauty !!!! :lol: :lol:
... but - isn't there a red shadow at the inner area ... or is it caused by the light ???

Roger

That looks to me like a 3 tone, where the red has faded, which is what used to happen on the early Fender 3 tones. I think it's something to do with the red dye or paint being more easily bleached by sunlight than the other colours. I believe that poster printers have the same problem - red fades fastest.

Fiesta Red also faded quite badly, hence the strange pinks that people sometimes call "Salmon Pink", even though that wasn't a Fender colour. Metallic Red (Candy Apple) doesn't fade in the same way though, presumably because of the metallic content.

Interesting thread Roger. Marcus's RW board Springy isn't just 2 tone, it also has a single ply scratchplate with 8 screw holes, and a truss rod inserted from the rear, complete with skunk stripe and plug in the headstock. I understood that that meant it was a 78 or 79?

By 1980 Springys had 3 tone SB, 3 ply scratchplate with 11 screw holes, and truss rod inserted from the top - all period correct for an early 60s Fender. Shortly after (82?) Tokai introduced the steel trem block, which continued on the Goldstars.

Well that's what I understood anyway, though I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

tudor said:
what a beauty !!!! :lol: :lol:
... but - isn't there a red shadow at the inner area ... or is it caused by the light ???

Roger

Here'e a close-up and you could be correct, looking at the guitar in natural light there is no sign of the red, but on camera you can see it???

tudor said:
Mike,

Thanks for that great review ... :lol: :lol:

It's a beautiful looking guitar ... I doubt if there are noticeable differences between ST60 and ST80 soundwise ...

... although I would have expected a 2tone sunburst finish on an ST80 ... am I wrong ???

Roger

Oh there's a BIG difference in the sound of my ST80 (rosewood board, E stamped p'ups) and my ST60 (maple board, U stamped p'ups). The 60 is brighter and a little thinner in tone. The 80 is full, beefy and bell like.

Back