Shohei Adachi and the Ownership of Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool! I wish I spoke Japanese. Would love to hear what he was saying.

And love the Tokai jacket he's sporting.

Screen captures.

Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 9.40.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 9.40.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 9.41.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 9.43.41 AM.png

More graphics using a screen capture from that YouTube video.

IMG_0707.jpeg
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG

Attachments

• SA1.jpg
    SA1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
To add the tidbit here I found yesterday:

The name Tokai shows up in a 2007 infringement claim Fillmore Co. Ltd vs. Kurokomo (this is part of the messy "Moseley vs. Ed Roman and Mosrite Japan, Mosrite Japan vs the other Mosrite Japan" chain of legal disputes). Fillmore Co. Ltd is the appellant, Kurokomo the appellee:

In addition, since around 2000, the appellant has owned Tokai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd. located in Hamamatsu City, Shizuoka Prefecture
That would mean at that point in time (2007), Tokai was owned by Fillmore Co. Ltd / Yusa Noriyuki.
Edit: It looks like Noriyuki Yusa passed away in 2000, and Yukie Yusa took over.

In other words the family-owned company wasn't all that family-owned all the time, at least not "around 2000"-2007? That would also kind of substantiate that Tokai produced (Fillmore-) Mosrites* or parts of them? Does that coincide with Tokai's move to more quantity by branching out to Korea and China?

Claescaster said:
Tokai made guitars for Fernandes, Mosrite and Fender Japan.

Attachments

• 036767_hanrei-1.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Tokai was founded by Adachi-san grandfather in 1947 with his father as a President. They hired some people from another close factory located (Hammamatsu) because it seems there was any "incident" there. Adachi-same became Tokai staff about 1983 and President about 2000 year when Tokai strated to be known in Europe (UK specially), check forum first posts where we talked about this if I recall well....

One family ownership until last year.

Latest posts

Back