Shohei Adachi and the Ownership of Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Just thought I would collect what info I can on Shohei Adachi now that he has passed on the reigns to new ownership at Tokai.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I know that several members here have and hopefully they will add their personal stories to this thread as we honor him and the work that he did.

11367-f4e89c19fd49168c11da0bdd29fb046a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not clear on everyone's role at Tokai.

"The company was founded in 1947 by Tadayouki Adachi and remains family-owned."
Tōkai Gakki - Wikipedia

In 1981/82 I see these names mentioned:

"On behalf of my president, Mr. T. Adachi, ..."
Lawsuit?

"Word has it that Tokai owner Mac Seshimoto..."
Tokais reviewed from UK E and MM magazine 1982

I am assuming Tadayouki Adachi is Shohei's father? Possibly grandfather? Might even be another T Adachi in between?

"Unlike many of its competitors, Tokai founded by Tadayouki Adachi in Hamamatsu in 1947, still remains a genuine family concern. Now headed by its current President, Shohei Adachi, Tokai still retains the philosophy of absolute commitment to quality."
Tokai

Last edited:
Not sure when T. Adachi stepped down and Shohei took the reigns?

Sometime between 1982 and 2006.

Last edited:
I have the pleasure meeting him on september 2002. I guess he got surprised someone from Spain would be so interested in Tokai musical Instruments company. I ordered my LS320 one off early before and that is a guitar to keep forever, I love it! They did a great job.

I have a fluid communication with him since them, in fact we met by skype in 2016 again where he answered me some questions, as far as it was interviewed in japanese by my friend Daisuke some questions were not easy to translate.

He is a gentelman.

Awesome. Do you have the transcript of that interview? I would love to see that if you could share it.

And that moves the timeline to when he took over to at least by 2002 ?

Adachi-san told me he entered into the company about 1982 or 83 if I understood correct, but his father was the chief (he was a student still)
Also he was at Martin factory sent by his father early 80's (I recall he spent some time in USA). Just remember Tokai was Japan distributor at the time....

About 2000 year I remember a small resemble published in Guitar Magazine UK where Adachi-san talks about Tokai relaunched and UK sales starting again. Will look at my shed to see if I find that magazine to scan.

About 2000 year I remember a small resemble published in Guitar Magazine UK where Adachi-san talks about Tokai relaunched and UK sales starting again. Will look at my shed to see if I find that magazine to scan.

Really would love to hear more about this...

Not sure if he studied at Martin, I am pretty sure he learnt some of the trade there or he met Martin people once at least. Just remember Adachi-san was involved into Tokai research and he was the team head. Being the owner he always consulted Ijima-san Tokai Plant manager things. I saw him meeting with another Tokai members discussing about research. And every Custom Order I asked he consults first and came back to me after, sometimes it was not possible as a LC320 higher specs one piece honduras mahogany body, for example.

According to Peter Mac, MacSeshimoto was Plant Manager or something similar to sales chief. They usually had bussiness letters. I guess he was who asked (or rented) some original 50's in late 70's ,Suburst/Goldtop/Black Beauty to a japanese musician/collector. Maybe Peter can chime in

Last edited:
More fun

Linked In pic.

IMG_0633.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0634.jpeg