Restoring my 1983 goldie

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsjackson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve got a 1983 goldstar sound that has had a springy decal applied and I’d like to restore it as everything else on the guitar appears to be completely original.

Is this the correct decal for circa 1983?

IMG_9877.jpeg

Cheers!

It could be that one or possibly the block logo but I think it might be a little late for the block. I think yours is L14**** with a June stamp? It's a bit weird around that period, yours could be June 83 or even June 84. But that decal is certainly more appropriate than the 7okai one, which is definitely wrong.

It could be that one or possibly the block logo but I think it might be a little late for the block. I think yours is L14**** with a June stamp? It's a bit weird around that period, yours could be June 83 or even June 84. But that decal is certainly more appropriate than the 7okai one, which is definitely wrong.
Yeah L14 and the neck heel says 4-9?

Goldie decals seem to be hard to find, so far the one above is the only one I have found but I haven’t tried that hard yet haha.

I’m hoping the springy decal that’s on it will come off with a damp cloth and a scrub, and to apply the correct one in it’s place.

Which is the date mark, the one on the neck or the one on the body?

IMG_9882.png
IMG_9881.png

The first number is the month, second is some sort of batch number. So you have 6=7 and the neck should match, yours is written on the neck upside down so it's actually also 6=7. SOH means Sonic Blue headstock. You'll probably get the decal off with a damp cloth.

cheers, and the year is figured out by the serial number being vaguely chronological?

So it’s fairly likely that mine wouldn’t be the block logo which seems to be circa 82-83 and mine is 83-84.

Yes thats pretty much it. it's either June 83 or June 84. Probably 84.

Faber have a rough timeline chart for the serials, see page 11 on the following link. However it's not 100% accurate. I have L05563 that is a November 1982 build (block logo) and L12125 which is a May build but also has a block logo so can only be either May 82 or May 83. Doesn't follow the timeline as per the chart. (Edited to make sense!)

https://www.faberguitar.com/HISTORY

Last edited:
Back