Price point for 1985 AST55SW

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum - seeking your advice re a Tokai AST55SW (Snow White) I purchased new in 1985. It's in mint condition with about 5 hours playing time (used by a studio musician). I'm considering selling it and figured this is the place to get input on the potential sale price.
Thanks,
JB
(I'd include a picture but don't see an option to upload from my computer)

You can add pictures by clicking the attach files tab at the bottom of the dialog window.

1985 AST55 would be interesting. Would love to see pics.

Last edited:
Got it, thanks. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• Tokai guitar.jpg
    Tokai guitar.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar front detail.jpg
    Tokai guitar front detail.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar head stock.jpg
    Tokai guitar head stock.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar back.jpg
    Tokai guitar back.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar serial number.jpg
    Tokai guitar serial number.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 0
@Sigmania, I don't know what happened to your additional posts in this thread. But you were asking
- if Kluson or CBS tuner type - looks like Kluson type to me - see pics
- if it has a V neck - don't know, except at the end where I can see V shape, it seems more rounded to me - see pics
- if I had a picture of the pots - sorry no, and I don't trust myself to take it apart to get a pic without risking damage

Also, attached is the sales receipt from 1985 indicating model and serial number. That's all I have to go by.

Attachments

• Tokai guitar tuner 1.jpg
    Tokai guitar tuner 1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar tuner 2.jpg
    Tokai guitar tuner 2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar neck 1.jpg
    Tokai guitar neck 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar neck 2.jpg
    Tokai guitar neck 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar neck 3.jpg
    Tokai guitar neck 3.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 0
  • Tokai guitar receipt.jpg
    Tokai guitar receipt.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
I deleted them because I felt like I was bombarding you with info.

I asked about the neck because the earlier ST50s had a U neck, then the TST/AST-56 that was made from 1982-1986 had a V neck.

The V necks Tokai made were a soft V. You can almost feel a ridge down the center of the neck towards the nut when you hold it, whereas the U neck is more like a constant curve and there is no hint of a ridge.

TST-56 & 62 in the 1983 catalog:

1229-1cc1b3d18fd6c8f05e8c6ce2873f3f6f.jpg

Renamed the AST-56 & 62 in the 1985/86 catalog:

1230-42da06a8e6d575aa07e6f726f68ff36d.jpg

So I am not sure if they were phasing out the TST/AST-56 when they made your Goldstar or if they existed side by side?

That's kind of wonky and you probably don't care, but I was curious since your guitar falls in that time period and I had an opportunity to ask.

And so cool that you have the invoice! That's amazing! Original owner with a receipt! That's rare.

Do you happen to know if they just got it in or if it was in the shop a while?

New models came out in the fall.

As for value, I try to stay away from that, but will see if I can find similar guitars that sold.

You might post it in the classifieds if you do sell it.

Last edited:
And you bought it in the US!

I wonder if the Goldstar AST50 and the TST/AST-56 were sold simultaneously in the US at that time.

I just spotted this post in an older thread:

The 'Goldstar' logo on the altered headstock was used on the entry level ST by then as the AST-56 and AST-62 were both 20,000 yen more....

regards
Peter

He was referring to an AST40, so that would be the equivalent of an AST60, so yours might fit under that in the product line?

I am still wondering why they called it an AST55 on the invoice and not an AST50. The extra 5,000 yen was for something extra apparently. Maybe the SW color was not standard? This stuff all changed year to year and I'm not sure what was a base option for color in 1985.

Fascinating guitar though.

Last edited:
I deleted them because I felt like I was bombarding you with info.

I asked about the neck because the earlier ST50s had a U neck, then the AST56 that was made from 1982-1986 had a V neck.

The V necks Tokai made were a soft V. You can almost feel a ridge down the center of the neck towards the nut when you hold it, whereas the U neck is more like a constant curve and there is no hint of a ridge.

1983 catalog:

View attachment 1297

1985/86 catalog:

View attachment 1298

So I am not sure if they were phasing out the AST-56 when they made your Goldstar or if they existed side by side?

That's kind of wonky and you probably don't care, but I was curious since your guitar falls in that time period and I had an opportunity to ask.

And so cool that you have the invoice! That's amazing! Original owner with a receipt! That's rare.

Do you happen to know if they just got it in or if it was in the shop a while?

New models came out in the fall.

As for value, I try to stay away from that, but will see if I can find similar guitars that sold.

You might post it in the classifieds if you do sell it.
Definitely a U neck then, I don't feel any ridge. Don't know how long it had been in the shop before I bought it. Thanks for your thoughts! That would be great if you come across any sales info on similar guitars. Regards, JB

So the TST/AST-56 and 62 had fancy necks like the ST70 in 1981/82. Interesting.

I would price it similar to a really clean AST50.

As a collector the color and original invoice are premiums, but someone looking for a player might not think so.

Here is what looks like a 1984 AST50 Goldstar to give you an idea of what they might sell for.

Tokai TST-50 Early 80's Red Metallic | Reverb

Last edited:
You're welcome. I'm learning in the process of chasing down this info and seeing new guitars. Pretty fascinating I think. So thank you!

And crazy what things cost then. I was looking through my dad's stuff from that period and you could fill up your car for $9.

A lot of stuff seems like it costs 5 x as much now.

Would love to see the body/neck code on this one!

Last edited:
1984 Vol 2 catalog

SW must have cost an extra 5,000 yen ?

cat_1984tokai_vol2_page05.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back