Polish Satin finish to gloss - 2002 (LS65?) Love Rock ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Alan-

Reaction score
Hi - apologies if this has been asked before, but are the Satin finishes from this era amenable to being buffed up to a decent gloss shine ?

My '02 has a Violin Finish maple top, in the origin satin finish,

The finish on the cut-out below the neck, and where the pick guard would sit if mounted have a nice low-gloss sheen to them - presumably from constant rubbing.

I'm not a big fan of the satin look - it just looks a bit greasy/hand-stained to me (particularly when other parts of the guitar have a nice lustre).

Barring a pro re-spray, is there a way of polishing the surface up without affecting whatever other layers of lacquer/paint are on there ?

Thanks,
Alan

I have a Tokai Breezy sound that came with a satin neck, body was gloss and just from playing the guitar the neck is now really glossy and you'd never know it was satin to begin with so i'd say buff away. They gloss up nice.

Thank you sire.

I followed your advice, and took to it with some gentle cutting-compound and a cloth. What I took to be the original grubby satin finish has given way to a nice 'low-gloss' finish (if such a thing exists?).

Probably years of dirt and oxidation rather than anything fundamentally wrong with the original finish.

Purdy things these old Tokais :)

Latest posts

Back