Orville by Gibson, nitro laquer or poly finish?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuie

Reaction score
LPJ-D, 1988 Model, 6 digit serial.

Which finish will this have? Nitro or Poly? US hardware? How can I tell?

TIA

Thanks guys.

Here it is. Shipped from Japan on Monday, arrived today. $750 total damages. This is my first junior styled guitar. what a neat guitar. This may be the best $750 Ive spent on a guitar :)

the action is really high right now, but it stays in tune and plays well. Wow, it is resonant. I know what a really resonant guitar is supposed to sound/feel like unplugged, but this guitar is different than anything Ive ever owned. When you hit the strings the entire guitar vibrates and feels like its alive 8). Im going to go ahead and set it up with a set of 11s and have fun with it for a while. this one may be a keeper. It will definitely relieve my GAS for a while.

I havent done the finish test yet, but here are some pics of the new fiddle:

DSCN80161137274603.jpg

DSCN42601137274637.jpg

DSCN42611137274660.jpg

DSCN80201137274696.jpg

DSCN42591137274778.jpg

The neck is thin. Slightly thinner than my Tokai, but not as flat feeling as a '60s Gibson. Feels pretty good. I definitely dont hate it :)

Hey Shuie,

That looks wicked! I've never played a "real" junior but I was blown away with how much my Tokai Jr. resonates acoustically as well. Must be the huge neck joint, I don't know.

Enjoy!

Jim

The neck joint is pretty huge. I think the nitro finish probably helps with resonance as well. It rings like a tuning fork, but it needs more midrange. I cant wait to put heavier strings on it and get it reasonably set up to see if that will help bring the mids out a little more.

Ive been lucky enough to own some nice guitars. Ive been kinda spoiled in a way. Ive owned P90 guitars before, but this my first Junior. Its been a while since Ive been as excited about playing a new guitar as I am about this one. I really like weight and the overall feel of the body style. It feels a little different while sitting and playing, but I can easily reach the entire neck. It took me a while to remember exactly what the neck reminded me of, but its very similar to a Historic SG.

I do kinda wish it had a fatter neck, but oh well. I've got a set of Junior blueprints and Im currently trying to source Korina wood blanks and the appropriate parts to have a luthier build me one of these with a '50s neck. That should be fun.

Orville by Gibson is laquer finish(nitro).
I have a thin neck in my ES335 too I did not liked,so I sold the guitar.

Latest posts

Back