NGD: 1981 Tokai LS100V VF

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacco

Reaction score
I like to share my beautiful latest purchase with you guys. I think she's quite a looker and the nice thing is she changes face when viewed from different angles.

She's a fairly early 1981 model and the odd thing is that the 1981 catalog doesn't feature VF finish for the LS100, that starts in 1982.
Here's some specs:
-Solid figured/flamed 2P maple top
-1P maho back (with some burn marks :()
-Nitro finish
-Very dark rosewood fretboard with feb & nice with the top matched yellow inlays
-weight 4.17 kg or 9.19 lbs
-nut width 43.71 mm or 1.72 inch
-neck thickness at 1st fret 23.01 mm or 0.905 inch
-neck thickness at 11th fret 25.17 mm or 0.991 inch
-factory installed DiMarzio PAFs, RDC; neck 7.73, bridge 7.79

Acoustically she's mellow & crisp sounding, very nice. I normally don't like DiMarzio's (too dry & pushy) but these seem to complement the guitar very well.
If you're wondering; I changed the ugly greenish tuners for Klusons with Uncle Lou's. Also changed the alu TP for a Faber alu locking TP, the original one was too much worn. The Faber locking bridge did make her sound worse (less life), so she's still got the original one.

Yes, I know I talk too much, here's the pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Thanks Harold. I know your collection, that's a big compliment coming from someone with such a fine taste in MIJ :)

I'm really lovin' this one, it's so much different from my 1979 LS80.
It's an alu TP Volker, the one on the LS80 had the same type of ageing going on :)

wishbonz said:
Had been admiring that beauty for a while.

So then you know it's class :)

I've been back to look at this one a few times. Very strong top and color, there can't be but a handful like this one ever made by Tokai. It could sneak into a Beauty of the Burst party any day.

Put some pickups with covers in and make this your 'Greeny'! That was the first thing which came up in me, that it looks like the 1959 LP played by Peter Green and Gary Moore. And that is a huge compliment. Stunning guitar!

wulfman said:
Thanks for sharing, that is my ideal kind of top. Tokai really got that one right.

Did you get those old Japanese guitar magazines at Book Off? I found some from the `80s there a couple of years ago locally.

sneakyjapan said:
wulfman said:
Thanks for sharing, that is my ideal kind of top. Tokai really got that one right.

Did you get those old Japanese guitar magazines at Book Off? I found some from the `80s there a couple of years ago locally.

No, it was from a small used bookstore in Shimokitazawa by "UNDERNEATH" guitar store. They also had some old guitar magazines from 1973 for 2100 yen each but the MUSIC LIFE were only 100 yen so I got a couple.
I'll have to take a tour through Kanda and see if there are any 70's/80's guitar mags to be had.

Seems like all the folks who run the mom and pop used books stores around us are really old...guess the younguns ain`t interested and they all go to Book Offs and the like...won`t be too long till the traditional used book store here will go the way of the dodo...it`s happened to pawn shops as well locally...guess there are advantages to being in the middle of Tokyo but I gotta say...Sendai is so green, a really beautiful little city...bit on the quiet side but the air is clean...if not radioactive... Love visiting Tokyo but not sure I could live there. You should come up here sometime, nice place to spend a few days...thats all you`ll need to see it.

Congrats Jacco - you're killing me :wink: Hope I will never know you're complete collection... :lol:

Latest posts

Back