New (to me) TST-62

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougMTX

Reaction score
First and foremost I wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation and thanks to the members of this forum. If not for you guys I would not now own my TST-62.

A little while back I began getting the first signs of G.A.S. pains. I decide to try to raise a little cash and put up on CL an old Alhambra classical that I'd paid $100(US) a few years back. Well, of course very few people have cash these days and mixed in with a few uninteresting trade offers was an offer to trade for the TST. The gentleman said he didn't really play electric and had this guitarstored under has bed for quite a few years.

I wasn't really inclined to trade for a Strat copy as I owned a 2001 '57 AVRI Strat already. But it was interesting enough to do a little research and that is when I found this forum. Wow, people really loved their Tokais.

Well, I had a look at it and immedeately liked it. I'd been hankering for a rosewood neck Strat and while this thing needed strings and some set up, it felt very solid and nice. Deal done. The guy even said "I know I need to add a little cash". I told him no, I'll do it even (at ths point I just wanted to get this thing home).

Fast forward a couple of weeks, the Tokai had been cleaned, tweaked and restrung (a few times till I settled on 10/46's) and it now put my $1000+ American Strat to shame.

It's another story but getting the Tokai led to using the '57 reissue Strat in another trade that landed me a 1993 Heritage Burst LP Custom.

One of the interesting things about the Tokai is that it has an original 8 hole pick guard. I have yet to see another pic of a TST-62 that didn't have an 11 hole.

Guys, thanks again. None of this would have transpired if it hadn't been for this forum.

Here are some pics...

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

BTW, it currently has some Allparts saddles as I need to try to restore the original Tokai 'Final Prospec' ones. They were quite rusty. Also currently has an SD Hot Rails in the bridge hole to broaden the range.

IMG_2271.jpg

Here it is with the LP...

lp4.jpg

And here is the Strat that ent with the Fender HRDx amp to get the LP...

IMG_2125.jpg

You are very welcome.It is a well known fact that that wonderful things begin to happen to you when you visit this site,isn`t that true,amigos? Gabe.

doug, nice pics, nicer axe. it doesn't look like it has been out of the case much, the color is unfaded and crisp. sweet, Rick

Thanks guys.

I consider myself very lucky to have acquired it. I find it better playing and sounding than the american reissue strat it replaced and it is so much easier to grab and noodle around on than the LP.

The ONLY problem is I'm feeling the urge to get more Tokais.

Cheers, Doug

That 8-hole scratch plate is very odd as the guitar is obviously original and there are no extra screw holes. Could anyone hazard an explanation?

Neck swap? Could've happened in the guitar shop from which it was orignally sold new. I doubt it came out of the factory like that, but I suppose it's not impossible.

blake375 said:
That 8-hole scratch plate is very odd as the guitar is obviously original and there are no extra screw holes. Could anyone hazard an explanation?

Neck swap? Could've happened in the guitar shop from which it was orignally sold new. I doubt it came out of the factory like that, but I suppose it's not impossible.
Yes , Should`nt the neck plate serial no begin with a L denoting rosewood neck ? It looks like someone has swapped the neck from an st62with that from an st56.The batch/production numbers are close so this could have easily happened in the shop.Does your guitar have the V neck Doug, and how do you like the E pickups.I`ve just bought a Goldie st60 with Es and I like them a lot.Gabe.

Hey Gabe,

I'm not sure about the 'L'. If you search the registry for TST-62's, there are a number of them listed in the same 13XXX and 14XXX range without the 'L'.

As far as the neck shape goes, I'd have a hard time calling it a V though it could technically be. It seems a bit thin. I'll measure the thickness next time I change the strings.

The E pups sound nice to me. At least as nice the the vintage ones that were in the Strat. As a matter of fact I still find I like everything about this guitar as much if not more than the American reissue Strat it replaced.

I saw the pics of the st60 that you picked up. Very sweet! I'm sure you are loving it!

Doug

Back