New member Scored a sweet Custom Edition Strat!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpscottk

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm new here but I've been scouring the forum for a couple of weeks. I recently moved to Okinawa, Japan and I picked up 3 nice Tokai strats. The latest, (and probably last because my wife will kill me if I come home with another guitar), is a sweet Custom Edition SD652 which I got from a second hand shop for 19800 yen. That's about $180 US. They had it on sale as a junk guitar because they thought it was modified and they couldn't lower the action. Took me 5 minutes to sort it out. Aside from the oxidation of the gold plated hardware, it's immaculate. Hard to believe it's a 35 year old guitar. I do have a few questions if anyone has any experience with these. The guitar has a compartment on the back that I thought was a battery for active electronics. I took off the cover and it's just a routed space- not even a hole for a wire. The few other guitars I have seen online didn't have this compartment. Was there an active pickup version of this guitar? Also, it seems pretty rare. What would you think it's actually worth? I would appreciate any info. I will post some pics once I figure out how to do it here. Thanks!
http://imgur.com/gallery/Jtu8bbm

My guitar looks just like the black one except with the 2 humbuckers. Thanks for the reply!

No I'm a DOD civilian living in Uruma right by the beach. Okinawa is great, lots of traffic though!

Could you perhaps share your serial number? I can't see it in the photos and am trying to figure out the dating on some of these unusal 6 digit serial numbers.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AQfS0Rr.jpeg
    AQfS0Rr.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • EJlEHsO.jpeg
    EJlEHsO.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ERDeSde.jpeg
    ERDeSde.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1
  • gBNC6Uc.jpeg
    gBNC6Uc.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
  • hOwKtYv.jpeg
    hOwKtYv.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Idu1LqU.jpeg
    Idu1LqU.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PhzIQy6.jpeg
    PhzIQy6.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • qKbGSCg.jpeg
    qKbGSCg.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • vos0MpX.jpeg
    vos0MpX.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • XrqgRNQ.jpeg
    XrqgRNQ.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
  • xT9ixP4.jpeg
    xT9ixP4.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
  • zRGliRv.jpeg
    zRGliRv.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
These were called the "Lady Killer" in the 1986 catalog.

SD652 with the double humbuckers.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 9.28.15 AM.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back