Love Rock w serial starting with F0...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemanzg

Reaction score
Hello, I have a love Rock model with the serial number F0601259.
I've had it since 2010 and have played it a lot but stil dont know where its from.
The headstock is different from anything I have seen on the web, looks kinda like an Epi. Judging from the scratches the body could be mahogony, the neck maybe not so much.
I have some pics If anyone can help.
Great guitar btw, Its been through a lot, 3 albums, 100+ gigs, still plays great.

https://ibb.co/svWQcYJ

https://ibb.co/C8npRqx

https://ibb.co/X3bMnD9

Rk9EWE3.jpg

0lMvmIi.jpg

S47C1XT.jpg

These are odd. They’ve popped up from time to time.

It’s either Korean or Chinese. I’m guessing Korean.

Check this link. Note the serial number and the location of it. These Korean ones are the only Tokais I’ve seen with the serial number in that spot.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26241&p=199938&hilit=Tokais+made+in+korea#p199938

LT5OOBe.jpg

LSYXMeo.png

With letters in the serial number and made in 2010 it's going to be Chinese. The shape could be a USA version to avoid Gibson trademarks.

Again, I have never seen a Chinese Tokai with the serial number located where yours is.

I have seen guitars marked "Made in Korea" with the numbers in the same spot with the same font (shown above).

I guess it's possible they could have been made in China, but stated in Korea, as suspected with the Fakais?

Tokai's production in Korea and China has always been shrouded in mystery and they have intentionally kept it that way.

Thank you for the info guys. I bought it second hand, it already had a Seymour Duncan 59 set on it, so it was a great sounding guitar, and the neck is really nice to play, slimmer than your avarage LP, one od those guitars you pick up and then its hard to put it down.

Im playing my first gig in there years so I think I'll fix it up a little, maybe put a papir od humbucker sized P90s, or the Wizz premium PAF clones.

Has anyone tried the 90 on your Tokai? I think they never made Love Rocks with P90s, or did they?

The Chinese and Korean models typically do not use more expensive woods like mahogany to cut costs. The wood is typically stained like mahogany and can be hard to tell what it is from a distance.

I am noticing the blue and red wire as well. Something seen on Chinese and Korean Tokais.

2nBe4Rh.jpg

PCXraQh.jpg

From reborn old's excellent 2013 thread on Korean Tokais. Might be informative.

I edited the format to make it easier to see. Content not changed.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20753#google_vignette

Reborn Old said:
I'll be first to admit this is an ambitious post based largely on limited catalog info and on too few MIK example pics, but it's a start that hopefully other members can build on for dating and/or reference purposes, and hopefully help members who think they may be dealing with a fake.

Dates are approximate and subject to change.

No genuine MIK Tokai models have or had serial numbers outside of possibly 2006 Fine Corp "FC" or "F" prefix models if these were in fact produced in Korea and not China,

2003-05 Dillion produced "unauthorized Love Rocks" had clear cello serial # rear headstock decals ... see last pic at bottom of this post.

Certain MIK (made in Korea) attributes can help date your Love Rock within one of 4 production categories.

The main ones being TRC (truss rod cover) differences shown in the pic below and possibly a MIK headstock stamp after 2002.

If your MIK TRC doesn't look similar to one pictured below, you may be out of luck, but control cavity routes may help where a TRC has been replaced.

Later MIC (made in China) models ALL have/had serial numbers and other features differentiating them from Korean examples.

Most if not all Korean Tokais were designated for export purposes and have a center dimple headstock style.

All featured alder or laminate body and maple neck construction.

Rare examples with open book headstocks were likely destined for countries that didn't have patent infringement concerns.

8612007326_33326310a7_b.jpg

-1995 ~ 1997 ALS------- ~ 1998 to ~ 2000 ALS---------mid 2000 to 2005 ALS-------2003+ MIK ink stamp-

1995~1997*

two screw pointed bell TRC,

ALS + ALC series catalog intro in 1995 had 3 models: ALS-36 bolt on neck + ALS-42, ALC-48 fixed neck.

1998 catalog

ALS 48 and higher alder models with set necks,
ALS 42 + lower alder or laminate body models.

Pearloid inlays and rosewood colored fret boards often found on set neck models. (may be actual rosewood... couldn't verify from pics)

opaque plastic instead of pearloid found on most bolt-on neck models.

1998 to early 2000

three screw pointed bell TRC.
Model specs appear to be otherwise unchanged.

mid 2000~2002

three screw arch shaped TRC introduced.
Model specs appear to be otherwise unchanged.

2003~2005

three screw arch shaped TRC
specs appear to be unchanged outside of introduction of "Made in Korea" ink stamp on headstock back sometime in 2003 or possibly 2004,

pic #4 (same as is MIJ ink stamp introduction on 2003 Japan models) until the end of documented MIK production.

Whether or not Korea continued Tokai production after 2005 and used serial numbers similar to Chinese ALS models, may be difficult to prove or disprove at this time.

Control cavity pics for various types:

1995-1999 ALS with pointed TRC

8612007424_d8708141ae_b.jpg

mid 2000 to 2005 ALS with arch shaped TRC

8612007446_324f280ab5_b.jpg

2009 Made in China ALS

8612007474_777360069a_b.jpg

Dillion unauthorized Canadian export

8612007460_fa42f53f5b_b.jpg

The Dillion cavity is different from others in that the cable channel and jack hole are at diagonal corner opposites (this pic was somehow flipped 180* on it's vertical axis), while Tokai ALS channels always route to the left side lobe and the jack hole is always in the right side lobe.

Arched TRC cavities have a flat routed right side lobe.

That flat is longer and follows route curvature, on the 2009 made in China example.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catalog vol-18 1995-1997 LS-45 + LS-50 models + Catalogs vol-19 + 20 1998 + 1999 LS-50 + LS-55 models were all made in Japan but can be easily confused with early 2000 MIK models.

They share the same style of 4 screw bolt-on neck, same 3 screw pointed bell TRC, but were nevertheless produced in Japan.

External differences from MIK examples are mahogany neck and back construction instead of alder or laminate with maple necks. I believe most 1995-1999 MIJ bolt-on models have open book headstocks and necks aren't scarf jointed. I haven't found an export dimple MIJ headstock example of these yet.

Other MIJ differences include typical MIJ control cavity routes with all 4 cavity lobes routed flat and Japan stamped hardware. MIJ bolt-on neck base models were discontinued after 1999.

Note that on these MIJ 1995-1999 bolt-on neck base models , the nut shape is sloped rather than rectangular in profile, and made of bone instead of plastic:

8612007380_5507f25404_b.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

2008 ALS China headstock posted for comparison purposes:
8599385772_baae930811_b.jpg

2003-2005 Dillion unauthorized Tokai serial # example:
8599385734_d3e68e82bb_b.jpg

2005 ALS 48 CS ?

After seeing the 6 digit MIK ES60, I am starting to think these 6 digit guitars are Korean. Maybe the 7 and 8 too?

1 screw TRC on this one too, like the sunburst ES above.

Fsci5T7.jpg

YHWhyQQ.jpg

SOg2jWY.jpg

r8PPpmi.jpg

https://reverb.com/ca/item/13082505-2005-tokai-love-rock-lp-guitar-flame-lindy-fralin-pu-near-mint-soft-case-made-in-korea

Back